ten.

CHAPTER TEN.
BATTLE OF NEW YORK.

BRUCE HAD FINALLY REJOINED the group in the midst of the battle

BRUCE HAD FINALLY REJOINED the group in the midst of the battle. He left the small motorcycle he arrived on leaning against a beat up taxi and approached the group. Alexios grinned, skipping a beat as she caught up and stood next to Steve.

"So, this all seems horrible." Bruce commented, motioning to the chaos that surrounded them.

"I've seen worse," Natasha confirmed.

"Sorry," he apologized.

Natasha smiled, "We could use a little worse."

"Welcome back, Banner." Alex grinned, "Now, that we have everyone back, can we get to fighting again? I was really enjoying setting those aliens on fire."

"Stark, we got him." Steve spoke into the comms.

"Banner?" Stark asked.

"Just like you said." Steve confirmed.

"Tell him to suit up. I'm bringing the party to you." Tony demanded.

Everyone looked up as they heard a crash. Tony flew around the building, a leviathan close on his tail and crashed through a skyscraper. Thor gripped the Mjolnir just a little tighter and snarled at the creature coming towards them.

"I don't think you know what the term party means," Alexios scoffed, crossing her arms. "And you're Tony Stark, the king of parties."

"Gee, thanks princess." Tony replied, causing Alexios to roll her eyes as she groaned.

"I agree with Alex, over here. I don't see how that's a party." Natasha sarcastically muttered.

Tony flew above them and the leviathan only got closer. The worm-like alien creature swooped low to the ground, crushing cars beneath its body and destroying the underlying city.

Bruce took a quick glance at the misfit team before turning around and walking towards the creature. Steve stepped forward, trying to stop him.

"Dr. Banner..." Steve started, then trailed off. He picked up again. "Now might be a really good time for you to get angry."

Bruce turned his head to look Steve, but didn't stop walking. He smiled, "That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry."

Alexios watched in awe as Bruce transformed easily before them into the Hulk. Just as he fully transformed, the leviathan was inches away when the Hulk threw out his fist and connected to what was assumed to be the creature's nose. The leviathan was forced to a halt at the resistance, the momentum of its action causing it to flip over their heads.

"Hold on!" Stark shouted, flying towards the tail of the creature. He shot a missile once he had a chance.

Steve grabbed Alexios and flung her towards Natasha. They turned around, their backs facing the exploding creature as Steve stood above them with his shield to protect the three of them.

The leviathan had successfully avoided the Avengers, but fell off the bridge and into the street below, however injured no one.

Tony Stark landed on the ground slowly as the Avengers now stood together in a tight circle. Hulk roared in response to the Centauri growling and snarling at them. Each of the Avengers prepared their own attack.

Natasha refilled the ammunition in her pistols. Steve attached his shield back to his uniform. Clint loaded his bow. Thor reassured his grip on the Mjolnir. Tony fired up his missiles. The Hulk stood in offensive position. Alexios held her hands out, ready to fire.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Alexios yelled in frustration, looking to the portal and seeing more creatures spill out. "Nick Fury owes me for this, dang it!"

They turned to the portal in sky, understanding the blonde's frustration.

"Call it, Captain." Tony offered.

"All right, listen up. Until we can close that portal, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on that roof. Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays. Alexios, go with him. Stark, you've got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or turn it to ash." Steve demanded, looking to each Avenger as he gave commands.

"Give us a lift?" Clint asked, motioning between him and Alexios.

"Got it," Tony confirmed. "Better clench up, Legolas."

Tony grabbed the collar of Clint's uniform as Clint secured a grip on his bow and Alexios. A gasp left her lips as Tony shot up into the air, watching as the ground beneath her grew smaller. Tony flew to a rooftop in a matter of a minute and dropped the two off.

Clint and Alexios landed smoothly on the roof and Tony shot off once again. She looked over at her partner and smiled.

"Let's get 'em."

"What did Loki do to you?" He asked, jogging to the edge and loading his bow.

"Nothing," Alexios answered, joining his side. "He just decided to take over Earth. Not on my watch, you pathetic being."

"D–mn." Clint muttered, shooting off an arrow. "Stark, you've got a lot of strays sniffing your tail."

Alexios flipped open her palms, igniting a spark and watched it grow into a flame. She flicked her wrists, throwing the flames at passing aliens. Her and Clint watched as the soldiers writhed in pain under the blaze, dropping in their chariots and heading towards the ground.

"Snagged a few of them," Alexios muttered, spinning around and tagging more of them.

"Thanks, princess." Tony replied quickly. "I'm just trying to keep off the streets, Barton."

"Well, they can't bank worth a d–mn." He joked, shooting at one of the aliens without looking. "So, find a tight corner."

"I will roger that!" Tony confirmed.

Aliens around Clint and Alexios dropped like flies, yet it barely made an impact compared to those coming in. Alexios grunted in frustration, again, as she clasped her hands together then thrusted them out. Clint gaped in awe as a large ball of fire was thrown out away from the buildings, watching the Centauri fly through and dropping to the ground in ash. It only lasted for a few seconds before the flames died out, however it took out a half dozen of the soldiers.

"Good going, Alexios!" Natasha praised her through the comms and earned a whoop from Clint. Both appraises sent a grin to her lips as she thanked them.

"What else you two got?" Tony asked.

"Go to sixth!" Alexios answered.

Clint elaborated, "Thor's taking down a squadron there."

"And he didn't invite me?" Tony faked the sadness in his voice as he replied back sarcastically.

Alexios rolled her eyes as she continued attacking the aliens. Her and Clint snagged any that flew past them or were near them. Arrows singed by and bursts of flame were thrusted towards the intruders.

"Is anyone gonna try to get to Selvig?" Alexios questioned into the comms. "Cause I don't know about you all, but this is getting tiring."

"I'm working on it!" Natasha shouted.

Clint began speaking, but Alexios ignored it as she shot down a chariot that came right for the pair of them. Clint glanced to her and nodded in appreciation.

Alexios shot a ball of fire towards the ground, blazing two Centauri that forced back a group of civilians. They screeched and soon fell to the concrete, the civilians screaming until died. She noticed that civilians looked up to where the flame came from. Alexios smiled slightly, waving at the civilians as they ran to safety. A little girl stood still, grinning up at Alexios though she couldn't see. The girl's mother picked her up and ran, and Alexios turned to return to battle.

But that moment, she wouldn't forget.