Chapter 9

1/13 3:00 a.m.
   When it stopped shaking, Alex got up from under the table and ran towards the windowsill. She could see Jade, she was outside. Alex called to her, "Jade don't move. We'll be right there." Alex then darted for the dumb waiter remembering the stairs crumbled under their feet. Noah yelled after her but she didn't stop. She reached the first floor and ran to the door. It was locked again. While she was trying to open the door, Noah came up behind her. He saw her struggling so he tried to help but to no prevail. They gave up and looked around for another way to get out. As they were doing this, the door swung open. They didn't think anything of it. They were too focused on getting to Jade.
   They ran outside, but Jade was nowhere to be found. They, once again, began to panic. They both jumped at once. They heard a blood curdling scream coming from upstairs. They thought to themselves, "We shouldn't have gone into the house." They were scared out of their minds and all they could think about was how much they wanted to go home. They ran towards the door, banging it, kicking it, and trying to open it again. The scream soon became distant and all they could hear was the beating of their own hearts.