Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

        "Just go up and talk to her, mate." Sirius advised him when they sat inside the Three Broomsticks during their Hogsmeade trip during the last week of October. Cassandra sat a few tables away from them and the boys were all staring at her while Calypso focused her attention on Karma's Hufflepuff friend, Calla. "You'll never know if you have a chance if you don't say anything."

       James discreetly rolled his eyes at Sirius.

       "I can't talk to her. She's way too cool for me." Peter said. He rubbed the palm of his hands together and Remus glanced where Calypso was looking, but he spent his time staring at Karma instead.

        "Yeah, I think you should go for it." Remus said absentmindedly to Peter. James groaned and banged his head down on the table. "What's wrong with you, Prongs?"

        "You're all hypocrites." He said, his voice muffled by the tabletop.

         Calypso nudged Sirius to catch his attention and pointed towards the Hufflepuff.

         "What about her? Karma always says that Calla's super sweet and your type." Calypso asked.

         "What's my type?" Sirius raised a brow.

         "I dunno. I'm just guessing." Calypso shrugged. "You never want to go on dates with the people I suggest." 

         "That's because I'm waiting." Sirius relaxed in his seat while Calypso raised a brow.

        "Waiting for what?"

        He shrugged and sipped his butterbeer.

        Calypso rolled her eyes before turning to James when he continued to bang his head against the table.

        "Are you mad?" She asked him.

        "Yes." He said. He lifted his head up and looked at his friends. "I think if you like someone there's no point in hiding it. You should shout it loud and proud from the rooftops if you have to, but the other person deserves to know."

        "Look at how well that's working out for you and Lily." Peter snapped. James turned to Peter with a hurt expression and Peter sunk into his chair. "Sorry, Prongs. I didn't mean that."

         "James is right." Calypso agreed. "When the time is right, you should tell the other person if you want there to be a hope of the two of you being together. If you never tell them, you'll always be left wondering 'what if . . .'."

       "But, I've never spoken to Cassandra before." Peter said, filling the silence that befell them while Sirius and Remus sat deep in thought.

         "Then you should go talk to her." Calypso encouraged Peter, stealing one of Sirius's chips. "You should put yourself out there, Peter, and show how great of a guy you are. Any girl would be lucky to have you. Any girl would be lucky to have any of you."

          Calypso smiled at the boys before glancing at the door to see Aerin walk in.

         "I better get going. Bye." Calypso said to the boys before standing up so she and Aerin could take their usual trip to Dominic Maestro's Music Shop. She waved to Frank and Alice, who were on a date and enjoying their last year of Hogsmeade trips together before Frank graduated.

          Calypso joined hands with Aerin and noticed the slightly sad look on his face.

           "What's the matter?" Calypso asked, squeezing his hand. Aerin swallowed and looked at her hesitantly.

          "Can I talk to you about something?" Aerin asked.

           "Of course."

           "I know you've probably wondered before why I never talk about my mum . . . and why there are hardly any pictures of her back at the house and I wanted to tell you why that is because I usually disappear for a day this time of the year since the anniversary of her death is coming up." Aerin said. Calypso's eyes widened slightly but she didn't say anything as Aerin guided her to a spot where they could sit down and talk privately. "My mum was a witch, but she never told my dad she was a witch and she left my dad when I was three.

          "He never heard from her for years after she left. It was as though she had got up one day and decided she didn't want to be a mother anymore, so she left and left my dad to raise me on his own. By the time I turned eleven and received my Hogwarts letter, my dad had no idea what to do or how to explain the things I could do.

         "I never heard from my mum again until November of third year when she sent a letter to my dad because she had fallen ill and the Healers didn't think she had much time left. I went to visit her for the first time in my life two years ago tomorrow and it was also the day she died. I didn't know her well but the anniversary of her death is a really hard day for me because it reminds me that I'll never get the chance to know her.

       "I wanted to tell you about her because I really care about you, Cal, and I love spending time with you. I don't think I've ever felt this way about anyone before and our relationship is relatively new, but I want to be open and honest with you."

      Aerin took a deep breath after he finished speaking. Calypso wrapped her arms around him tightly.

      "Thank you for telling me." She said. Aerin's grip around her tightened and he breathed her in.

       "Oh, another thing," Aerin said, rubbing his hands together excitedly. "We were invited to play this gig in Birmingham. Zig heard rumours that the Moon Sisters would be there too."

        Calypso's eyes nearly bulged out of her head.

        "No way!" She exclaimed. "I love them!"

        "I know." Aerin laughed. "That's why I'm hoping you'll be able to convince your dad to let you come."

       "I honestly don't know if he'll let me. Christmas is pretty much the only time of the year he sees me, so who knows what he'll say." Calypso said. She noticed how Aerin's face slightly fell. "But, I'll try and see if I can go."

       Calypso hoped her dad would let her go, but Icarus Krane could be unpredictable and Christmas break was sure to be interesting that year.