Chapter 42: Breakout

They wound up and down the narrow streets behind the church, but there was no sign of Sturgie.

“Where the heck did that boy run off to?” said Renfrew.

A kernel of dread germinated in Karla. “I hope … they didn’t take him.”

They turned a corner to find a sweaty and flustered-looking security guard waddling down the lane, night stick and canister dangling from his harness. He paused to examine an alley.

“Don’t stare. Eyes straight ahead,” said Karla, as they rolled past.

Jessica’s phone went off. Karla snatched it up to find a breathless Sturgie on the other end.

“Morrison’s supermarket. Eastgate,” he said, and hung up.

Karla knew the location well. It was only two blocks from her house, the same grocery store she had visited the day James confronted her on the sidewalk. What a strange and potent mixture of excitement and despair he had evoked. Seeing him in this world and in the flesh seemed less real than seeing him in the Liminality.

“Take a right here and then the second left,” she barked.

They found Sturgie slinking in the door well of a dry cleaner’s shop. He rushed to the car huffing and puffing and flopped into the backseat beside Karla.

“What are you doing all the way down here, boy?” said Renfrew.

“Some rent-a-cop started following me,” said Sturgie. “Persistent bugger. Chased me all the way from the church. There were two of them, but I think one stayed behind.”

“So what do we do now?” said Jessica.

“We continue as planned,” said Karla. “You and Ren attend mass. Once you’re situated, Jess will get up and go to the vestibule. If anyone stops you, just tell them you’re going to the loo down in the basement. Once you’re there, you will find an exit leading directly up to the street. Open it. Hopefully, by then, Sturgie and I will be lurking somewhere in the vicinity.”

Sturgie’s phone chirped, heralding a message that had just come in.

“Alright! The cavalry is on its way, guys.”

“Cavalry?” said Renfrew, cocking a bushy eyebrow.

“My friends just texted me back. They’re on their way … to help.”

Jessica scrunched her eyes. “Who—?”

“Anonymous Rex. They’re the remnants of Linnie’s old band. I’ve been managing them. They’d do anything for Linnie. They were devastated when he moved to Glasgow. Not easy, replacing a voice like his.”

“The more the merrier I suppose,” said Karla. “So? Are we ready?”

“Wait a second,” said Renfrew. “There’s still a piece missing from your little plan. Once Jess gets into the basement, I’m still stuck upstairs on some fucking pew. Remember, I’m the one packing all the persuasion.” He patted the bulge in his coat pocket that was his Browning semi-automatic pistol.

“Just find a way to get your bloody arse downstairs,” said Jessica. “Just don’t make a big scene about it.”

Karla sighed. “So … shall we?”

“Hang on,” said Jessica. “Looks like Morrison’s just opened. Let me run in and get some snacks for the road,” said Jessica.

“Now?”

“Well, it’s a long ride back to Brynmawr, and I don’t suppose we’ll want to be stopping for supper with a posse of Sedevacantists on our tail.”