I didn’t like to blame her hormones for the outbursts, but this pregnancy, yes it was the hormones that were to blame. It wasn’t her at all, I knew her normal temperament and this was so NOT it.

“Dec, man… get Virginia inside before she makes a scene.” I muttered, nudging him towards her. I was stuck manning the BBQ so I couldn’t exactly leave it with all these children about. That would be the epitome of danger in Virginia’s eyes and I’d rather her anger was directed on the mess rather than me. I love my wife, I do. More than anything (other than my kids) but I wouldn’t wish her temper on anybody. Pregnancy temper is like walking on Lego bricks; painful and unforgettable.

Declan rushed off and eased Virginia inside, only to come out a few minutes later with a bin liner, and quickly starting to remove the debris. I chuckled at the panicked look on my brother’s face as he zoomed around; trying to rectify the obvious situation I had unintentionally put him in.

Oops!

 Declan looks up and scowls at me, narrowing his eyes in my direction, I give him an apologetic smile and mouth 'sorry' at him. Fat lot of good that does because he just continues to scowl and turns and picks up another ripped up paper plate. It’s not like I aimed to feed him to the wolves… mind the pun, but I did, and he was.

Handing the spatula and tongs to my dad, I rushed off to held Dec otherwise I’d not only have a hormonal wife on my hands, but a pissed off brother to contend with also. I didn’t think I could handle both of them at once. And the kids…

Things had dramatically changed over the past few years; I was the model husband and mate, and hopefully a good father. I worked my hardest every damned day to be everything Virginia needs me to be; I remember every special date, do 2am runs to the shop for food and drink Virginia is craving, help with the housework and attempt to do night feeds… but Mrs Anal-Butt knows best and neither Declan nor I can get the girls to sleep like she can. But I still have to try and help with the girls at night time or I will hear it for weeks.

Virginia is amazing; she awed me every day and surprised me with new skills and beliefs, like this morning when she was talking to mum about the local school allowing humans in as of next month to raise funds for new resources. Virginia turned round and said how this would prepare the teenagers for life after school; how they would have to understand the humans didn’t know about our species and they needed to learn how to keep the secret no matter where they lived or what environment they found themselves in.

Everybody else was just worrying themselves with the idea of new students who weren’t part of the clique, rather than the learning benefits and skills they would benefit from. That was my mate! She always thought outside the box.

God I love her so god damn much. It overwhelms me sometimes how much I love her, how much I need her and cherish her presence in my life. I nearly lost her; I nearly threw it all away because of my pride… I thank the earth, the moon and stars for a stubborn mate. I wouldn’t be here today if not for her persistence.

I think I better go inside and see if Virginia has calmed down…

Declan POV

Douche! He threw me in the fire.

I guess he was paying me back for last night when I sent him upstairs to help bath the kids and Virginia blew at him for washing Ana wrong… I did know she was getting worked up, and she was exhausted. This pregnancy is affecting my angel way more than last time. I feel awful seeing her like this, but I’m a man and it’s physically impossible for me to carry the twins. I would if I could.

So here I am now, picking up rubbish and staying clear of the she-devil aka my wife. Deacon must be mental if he’s going back inside for another screaming from our mate. Masochist…

Rather him than me though.

It seems the past few years have really changed; we’ve all changed, matured, and adjusted to our living situation, our love triangle and just like my parents and Holden, we made it work and figured things out in our way. The children don’t seem affected by our mating, they seem as happy as Deacon and I did as children which was a huge relief.

I was so proud of Deacon’s turn around; he’s really stepped up and came out of his shell not only as a mate, but a brother, a father and an Alpha. I’d been there to witness and observe every step he’d taken in attempts to mend his relationship with Virginia and myself, and becoming the man he wanted to be. As corny as it sounds, I loved him more because of it.

My brother had become the man he wanted to be.

Time moves on, and thanks to a lot of drama, a couple of almost-deaths, and children, we fought for our love, our mate and we made things work.

You don’t give up on love at the first hurdle; stick around and give your all to the one you wish to spend your life with. It doesn’t come easy, relationships are hard and life is hard. Love hard and fight harder.