Warmth before the Storm

Start from the beginning

Squatting down, she examined the words. They were somewhat confusing, but they did give a way to open the door before them. "We need to find something of the door's master. At least, that's what this message says."

Glancing down and reading the message, Tarhuinn remarked, "That may be a false message, but it's unfortunately the only thing that we can go on. But, we don't even know this door's master. Nor, do we probably have something that belongs to them." He walked back towards the room. "We'll just have to look over this area after all and hope to find something that'll work."

"Right," she answered before standing up and following after him. The two of them began to investigate the room, though, cautiously. Drawers were taken out and cabinets opened. Bed sheets were pulled off while the mattress was flipped. Even the old ashes in the fireplace were searched. When none of these places produced anything, they both were irritated and exhausted.

It was well into the night now. They hadn't eaten much, and sleep was demanding attention. Figuring that by now the furniture was safe to interact with, (f/n) plopped herself down onto the old mattress. She rested her head and back against the stone wall while Tarhuinn grabbed the old pieces of firewood and tossed them into the fire. He was anxious to light it, but she assured him that they would most likely be fine.

With great hesitation, he grabbed the firesteel and small piece of chert. Striking it, a spark flew onto the old wood. Flames grew, warmth began to envelope room and nothing struck out at them. A relieved sigh escaped his lips before he rested himself on the slanted bed. He rested his chin in the palms of his hands. "Perhaps, we're going about this the wrong way. Maybe, it's something much simpler than what we're thinking of."

"What are you proposing?"

"We need to give the door something of its master's. Well, we could presume that whoever created that door also created this room. So, everything in this room would belong to that master. We could bring the door one of the drawers. If that doesn't work, the door itself is something that its master owned. I overlooked it before because it seemed too easy, but, with our present luck, we might as well try it."

"I agree, but if it works, can we still enjoy the fire for a little bit more? I know that it isn't wise, but we just lit it, and we might not get another fire for awhile."

"We'll stay a little bit longer, but we'll leave before it goes out. Starting it might have not done anything, but a spell may react when it goes out. I don't want us to be caught in that if it does."

"I understand. Let's test out your plan and go from there." She got up from the bed and grabbed one of the drawers. Tarhuinn took it from her before they both headed back to the door.

Holding it up before the wooden object, he stated, "I have brought you something of your master's." Instantly, the drawer was blown from his hands and impacted the stone behind them. It broke into several pieces while some of the wood floated down the water path and beyond the door. Since that didn't work, he announced, "Then, you yourself are something of your master's." This time the force attacked him directly.

"Tarhuinn!" she shouted before running over to him. Crouching besides him, she grabbed his right forearm and helped him to sit up. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, (f/n). Looks like we'll need to test something else out, though," he muttered, getting to his feet and bringing her up with him. He headed back to the small room with her, and both of them retook their seats. She was tempted to fall asleep on the bed, however.

Forcing herself to keep her eyes open, she thought over the message again. "Maybe, it means something directly from its master. Like a hair sample."

"If that's the case, (f/n), we'll be lucky if we can find such a thing."

"Not necessarily, this master probably lived here as you suggested. Everyone sheds hair, so we might find an old strand around here somewhere. It'll be hard to find if there is one, but it's the best that we can do at the moment. I'm not giving up."

"Then, let's continue searching. We might have missed something." Getting up from his seat, he groaned a bit and drew his right hand to his back. Before she could ask, he spoke, "I'm fine. My back will just be sore for a little while. I should be fine later in the day tomorrow or sooner."

Giving a hesitant nod, she turned away from him and began to look for something from the door's master. They searched the same places again but more thoroughly. Her attention went back to the bed. She checked the sheets before she flipped over the mattress once more. (F/n) squinted her eyes and crouched.

Extending out her right index finger and thumb, she pulled something off. It was a long grey hair. Neither of them had such a color nor did supposedly Tergii or Bimaa. There was a possibility that it might be the mage that was traveling with them, but it could also be the door's master's hair. She held it up and turned to her partner. "I think that I might've found our way out of here."

They both made their way back to the door. She refused to let Tarhuinn present the hair, telling him that she would be fine and that he didn't need to be in worse pain. Reluctantly, he agreed, but he stood behind her in case the force shot out at them. Holding the hair to the door, she stated, "Does this belong to your master?" No force came at them, but the door slowly creaked open.