The Black

You awake, slowly.  Your senses begin to register your surroundings.  You are lying face-down on the ground, hard and smooth.  It feels like polished concrete, but it's neither warm or cool to your touch.  You open your eyes, and see nothing.  Inky blackness envelops you, embraces you.

  You begin to move.  Your joints ache from being static.  How long have you been here?  You sit up, the effort makes you dizzy as blood rushes from your head.  You nearly black out, or you think you do - you can't see anything anyways.  You don't end up on the floor at least.

  How did you get here?  You struggle to recall memories before you woke up.  You remember nothing.  What is your name?  You can't remember that either.  It's like the Men in Black wiped your memories, and left nothing in their place.  "Strange," you think.  "Why would I remember that, and nothing of my self?"

  You slowly stand up, no use ending up on the floor again.  You're barefoot, you realise.  You instantly feel every piece of fabric touching your body.  It's like nothing you've ever felt before.  It flows like water under your hands as your hands roam over your body.  It's like cotton, like silk.  It's loose and tight.  Comforting and oppressive.  

  "What is this place?"  you wonder.  You stand, perfectly still, and listen.  You hear nothing.  You see nothing.  You shift and scuff your foot on the ground.  The sound goes nowhere.  It is absorbed by the blackness.  

  Strangely you feel no alarm.  The darkness is a part of you, as you are a part of it.  You wonder if you should greet it.  "Hello," you whisper.  Again, the sound goes nowhere.

  "Hello!" you shout.  The black opens up.  Your voice whispers back at you, the faintest echos only heard by ears alert for every sound.  The size of this place strikes you.  You cannot see, but your voice whispers the tale to you.  The tale of a journey miles long in every direction but down.

  "Hello!?" Again you shout, with all your might.  The black has closed.  Not even the faintest response is heard.

  A light snaps on.  Though it is far away, it's light dazzles you.  The column of light streams down.  You look up, you strain your neck to see the source of the light.  It is impossible.

  Suddenly, you are afraid.