Chapter Six

They blessed Elizabeth just as they would a Queen when she emerged from the bed chamber. Henry was proud, he boasted a little but not quite so much as many men. Elizabeth didn't tell them about the pain, or how her blood stained the sheets. She pretended to be happy. That she was not sore, and tired from the late night. When asked she would say: "I pray I am with child." Then her hand would hold her stomach where it would soon be swelling and she'd finish, "We shall all pray for a prince."

She did wish that she was with child. A true blessing but for Tudor not York. But that was where her affinity lay now, Tudor. She had married him. She was his now.

Lord Thomas Stanley was speaking with her, congratulating me on marrying his step-son and saying he hoped she would bare a son for Tudor. He said her son should be the most noble prince England should see, handsome like Elizabeth, and clever too, pious like his Lady grandmother, Lady Margaret, and he would have his fathers noble blood. Elizabeth's prince would be so witty as he was clever, he would be the most handsome, more so than Elizabeth's own father. He would be a warrior and he'd fight alongside Henry to secure our throne.

"You are well, Lady Elizabeth?" Lady Margaret said as she approuched Elizabeth. She cupped Elizabeth's cheek in her hand, and stroked it with her thumb. Her eyes looked down at Elizabeth's stomach like that alone would put a child inside her. "I hope you carry my grandson."

"As do I, Lady Margaret." Elizabeth smiled and let Lady Margaret place her hand on hers so they both felt where thier prince would soon grow.

"A good prince I think." Lady Margaret said. "And if you should ever need anything, anyone to speak with on the matter anything you fear you may come to me. Think now, I am practically your mother, and I know more about how to raise a king."

"Lady Mother, you are smothering her." Henry jested as he appeared behind Elizabeth. "Bess, you are feeling well?"

"Yes, Your Grace." Elizabeth nodded but Henry glared at her, and she pretended to laugh like a fool and said: "Henry. I am feeling quite well Henry."

"You speak like old freinds." Lady Margaret smiled taking her hand away from Elizabeth's stomach so that her son might have her to himself. "Soon we shall do that and we shall feel a kick." She chirped, then she cocked her head and looked Elizabeth. She analyzed her stance, her dress, everything about Elizabeth's look. She sighed. Then looked back to Elizabeth's face and smiled. She walked a little closer and said so only Elizabeth could hear, "When you do not bleed, come to me and only me." Elizabeth looked at her for a moment wide eyed, like that was impossible. "I shall see you are cared for." Gently she placed her hand on my arm and squeezed it.

"Yes, who else should like to know? The whole court?" Elizabeth laughed but was given a cold glare from Lady Margaret and even Henry, realising what they spoke of, gave her a stern look. It was not a moment later they were smiling again. She stepped away a little so that Lord Stanley was part of thier small circle.

"Only once we are certain." She said in a hushed tone, though Elizabeth was sure Lord Stanley heard her. With her husand looking on she curtsied Elizabeth and Elizabeth curstied back then with a hold on Lord Stanley's arm she marched away, Henry following quickly behind.

Elizabeth stood, and even with the large crowd she felt alone. She searched for her mother but she could not see any familiar face other than her new husband and his kin. She let out a sigh and began to turn, seeing her ladies who had not moved from the huddle in the corner, all looking lost without her to lead them. She remembered her aunt Anne's ladies, they had always been so happy right up until Anne's death and even then they were hardly dull. They knew thier lady better than they knew themselves, yet these ladies could not even tell her appart in a crowd of the great nobles of England.