Hiss in it's throat

The card Edward had given me for my birthday had today’s date on it. I had some unknown date at 3pm today, so when I got home I decided to try and get as much information out of Edward as possible. Thankfully, I’d thrown on a sweater as soon as I’d gotten home so he never saw the bite mark. I really didn’t want to have to explain that to him. Still, the only information I got out of him was that he’d make sure I wasn’t late to it.

The shower I then took seriously improved my mood. Apparently a sweaty Callie is a grumpy Callie. The shampoo had stung my neck but it felt better after that so I mostly ignored it, having to be  careful with it was spiking my temper. I didn’t need to yell at Edward because I was bothered by what Alex had done. I was a little grumpy at Edward himself for the way he had acted at the dance club, but I refused to be a whiney pain in the butt so I shoved my bad mood to the back of my mind and focused on relaxing.

I was wearing comfortable gray trousers that were nice looking but easy to move in, my sapphire blue turtle neck and black running shoes. It was only when I looked in the mirror that I realized that I still had the long hair but since I liked it I decided to keep the length. Now I had hip length espresso brown hair and it looked awesome. I stopped fussing and walked downstairs to where Edward was watching a news report. That Other who was causing problems had another victim, poor bastard.

Edward got to his feet. “If you’re ready, I’ll drop you off. It’s a bit early, but better early than late.” He said cryptically. I stepped close to him, hesitating because I didn’t want him to try and kiss me again. After yesterday I’d had my fill of being manhandled without my permission, and it wasn’t worth trying to fake interest and get kissed just to try and probe his shield. I’d tell him the truth when this meeting was over with.

With a snap we were outside the most unremarkable building façade I’ve ever seen; tawny beige and gray brick with a simple brown door, and the address numbers were plain white. Bland exterior aside, we were met at the door by a tiny but grossly fat woman. She was taller around than she was vertically, and dressed like a colour-blind clown. Reds and oranges clashed merrily with sickly greens, saffron and the most eye searing magenta I have ever had the pleasure going blind to. She was trying to make the world a more colourful place, all on her own and she had a sweet nature about her as she shyly led us through the front of her house. Apparently we were going to the clubhouse out back. Maybe not quite out back, little miss colour-blind brought us to her brother. He was a man with superb taste and as soon as I saw him, I knew what my gift was. I turned a stunned look on Edward.

“Girl clothes?” I managed; Edward laughed at my flabbergasted expression. He had gotten me a private appointment with the formal gown designer Bert Harmer. His gowns are all unique as he has a strange gift; he can see something and make a realistic image of it appear, a very useful gift for a man with his design skills.

“I’m not complaining, but why do I get the formal dress? I don’t have anything to wear it to.” I asked Edward as Bert led me to a privacy screen where I stripped down. Bert impersonally took my measurements while I hear Edward pace on the other side of the screen. So much for not wanting to get manhandled any more, but at least this male wasn’t trying to use affection on me as a weapon against anyone else.

“That’s the second part of your gift. Amanda and Dominic are taking you to the Underhill Ball this year.” Even though he couldn’t see my face, my jaw dropped in amazement. The Underhill Ball was literally a Faerie Ball, the rich and famous, the magically strong and the glamorous all gathered in Underhill to dance. I’d always wanted to go but had never once entertained the notion of being able to.