And he’s gone. Ex-girlfriend. Introspecting doesn’t really help. I can’t feel anything. It’s like my whole being just got numb. All I can work out from my head is a pesky question: What kind of exes keeps a photo of the two of them on such a crucial time like this? I see Jillian staring at me. I bite my lip to stifle a forthcoming tear.

            “Come on, Jill. We have to go,” I tell her. My fake enthusiasm wears out my energy to continue acting. I kneel to pick up our trash. And Jillian hugs me. I’m not expecting that so I freeze in astonishment.

            “What was that for?” I ask her when she lets go.

            “So, you’ll feel better. My mom hugs me whenever I’m upset,” she says.

            I smile weakly and plant a kiss on her cheek. “Thank you,” I say. We walk out of the building. Outside, the two men are waiting for us. I help Jillian inside the car.

            “We have room. You can ride with us,” Vaughn offers me.

            “No, thanks. I don’t really want to leave my bike.” Rohan butts in though it’s clear Vaughn’s talking to me. He lends me his hand. “Let’s go?”

            I’m too hurt to accept his hand but also too proud to admit it. I choose to hold onto his jacket sleeve instead and pull him toward his Ducati. I look back at Vaughn before mounting up the motorcycle. “Thanks for the offer. We’ll be fine,” I say.

            In less than a minute, the two vehicles are maneuvering towards the expressway. Within the first hour, the first crack of lightning shows up. The sun is still visible but not for long.  Behind us, Vaughn driving a black sedan. We reach Norzagaray, Bulacan on the second hour. And as if by cue, the rain falls on us. We don’t have a choice but to stop at the first house we passed by which is at the middle of a farm. Once we’re in the house, we bar in the windows and doors with pieces of wood we found behind the house.

            The storm pours loudly on the tin roof of the house. By noon, we ran out of things to do so Rohan decides to give Vaughn some knife training which take up the rest of the day. As much as I can, I don’t talk to Rohan but late that evening, he challenges me into a sparring session. I gladly agree on it. I use the chance to spend my anger. He notices it but doesn’t react. Maybe, he thinks I’m improving. Either way, I feel a little better after a few rounds of trying to land a punch on him but hitting his palms instead. I’m still angry but not as much as before.

            Vaughn asks Rohan to spar with him, too. While they’re at it, I keep Jillian company who enjoys herself by playing snake and ladders on the dining room table. I join her to distract myself.

            “Do you know any stories?” she asks me after a while. I throw the dice. Four. My piece didn’t make it to the upcoming ladder.

            “I know a lot of stories but you’re too young for those,” I say. It’s not really a habit for me to sugarcoat things even though I may sound too blunt sometimes. Jillian doesn’t seem to mind. I’ve already done a lot worst to her anyway.

            She throws the dice and gets five. Her piece climbs up the longest ladder. I groan. I’m losing again and it’s already our fourth round.

            “Can you think of one that’s suitable for me?” she asks again. I suppress a laugh. I think she’s a really smart kid. The way she talks amazes me.

            “I can’t think of one. Why don’t you tell me your favorite, instead?”

            She lifts up her gaze as if she’s thinking. She nods and says “Okay. My favorite story is Brother to the Wind. I read it only last week when we stop by in an old library.”