Rohan walks back to the table and leans his hands on it. He fixes his eyes on me.

“Why didn’t you asked for help, then? Why did you run away? Your blood could’ve save millions.” His tone is so rough; he sounds like he’s accusing me. I taste the bile in my mouth.

“I could’ve, could I?” I look up to him, matching his glare. My chest rises up in suppressed emotions. “The day they massacred my parents along with several others, I went to a friend who has government connections. I trusted him with the truth and the next thing I knew, I was being strangled to death. I had to knock him unconscious with a guitar so I can run away.”

Rohan doesn’t answer. He just sighs and switches his stare on his hands on the table.

“You see? I can’t just trust anybody,” I say in softer voice. I feel exhausted, like a waning candle. “Even the people I’ve known for so long. If what’s in my blood too valuable, I’m also too vulnerable to defend myself.”

I wanted to say more but I’m choked up upon remembering Jay Altamira. He was a journalist and a long-time friend. I even dreamed of being like him someday. And he tried to kill me. What he did to me is unforgivable.

“Those bastards,” Rohan mutters the words under his breath but the intensity makes it level with a holler. His fist is curled up in a tight ball. I realize he’s so angry right now.

“No. Just humans,” I say bitterly. I hear him let out a breath through his nose harshly.

“It’s not about being human, Hope. There’s nothing humane about what they did,” he says crossly. He points to the empty space outside. “See that? That is the work of the twisted demented minds we used to call leaders. That is evil disguised as humanity and they’re using that distinction as an excuse to justify what’s happening. It’s not being ‘just humans,’ Hope. Remember that.”

That shut me up. In retrospect, I’m one of those people who use that excuse all the time. ‘Sounds shameful at this moment. I can’t help but to be in awe of his perspective.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” I answer.

“Do me a favor and don’t say ‘just humans’ again, okay?” he adds so I nod. For a moment we hold each others gaze. He’s the first to break it when he walks back to the balcony and leans back again to the railing. My innards twist in awkwardness.

“Do you think your father made antidote, too?” he asks.

I shake my head. “I’ve thought of that before but I don’t really know. They told me nothing but about the immunity of my blood.”

The idea feels hopeful. Hemophages getting healed, everyone getting back to their normal lives, Warm Bodies-esque, healing and rebuilding; I wish it’s that easy. My blood can help as prevention but I don’t know if it can be a cure.

“There’s only one way to know. We’ll have to get you to that camp.”

“That’s why I need your help,” I find myself standing up to join him in the balcony. “I’m sick of running, Rohan. But I cannot do this on my own.”

I bite my lip. Another rush of shame blooms within me but since I decided to give him my trust, I think he deserve more of my gratitude, too. I clear my throat.

“By the way, I know I haven’t thanked you yet for all those things you’ve done for me. Believe me, I’m grateful. So, if I’m becoming a burden, just…just tell me so.”

He looks a little amused. “’You think I see you as a burden?”

“Wasn’t I?” I stare at him in puzzlement. His eyes meet mine and I find myself losing in them. If I’m not a burden, does he means he wants me to be around? Why? What for? He doesn’t even know me. A shiver runs down in my spine and I feel extra conscious. No, I can’t blush. He’ll see it and it’ll be embarrassing. I’ve had enough embarrassment for a day already.

But Rohan just shakes his head and smiles. “You’re such a kid, Hope.”

It’s as if somebody just poured water on my head. I frown at him. “Yeah, right.”

I turn my back at him. Some things won’t change, though. He’s still a jerk. What kid kills four hemophages and watches a head blown to pieces with triumph? I am no kid. He’s just plain annoying. Handsome but annoying. I make my way to the rest room of the teahouse and in some way; I can feel his eyes following me.

The rain stops by noon and after we eat lunch, we move on. Like before, he drives and I hold onto him. It’s only been days but Rohan’s scent became so familiar to me now, I associate it with comfort and security. I now realize how much I craved for connection. I still don’t know what his motives are aside from the thing in my blood. But he’s been helping me even before he knew that so it must be something else.

Before sunset, we find another shelter and choose an abandoned house near the highway. After barricading the doors and windows, we spar again. This time, Rohan teaches me offensive moves. After my confession, I can feel he’s becoming less surly at me. Maybe, he’s getting convinced that I am not just a kid. Besides, he’s training me and it’s pretty obvious he believes in capability. Who could’ve thought it feels this so good to be in control?

“You can’t stop these things from hurting you,” he says. “But you can lift your fists and fight back so it’ll worth the pain.”

“’Sounds masochistic to me,” I remark. Rohan just laughs and positions himself for another attack. I dodge him and try to land a fist on his side which he deflects. He twists my arms and put me in a headlock. I can smell the manly scent of his sweat.

“I don’t think I can do this,” I say, gasping for breath.

“Use your foot,” he says. I stomp on his foot but he moves it out of the way.

“Do you really believe this apocalypse will ever end?” I ask out of the blue. As an answer, Rohan tightens his grip on me. I try stomping on his foot again. Twice, this time.  Rohan cringes. My reflexes must be getting better because as soon as he loosens his hold on me, I elbow him on the stomach and crouches down to swipe his legs. He fall backwards with a thud and I jump on him with my fist lifted to his face.

His face. His hazel eyes that gleams against the candlelight. I can stare at them for a lifetime and I won’t even care.

Rohan uses my distraction as a chance to push me down and pin me on the floor. I land on my back with his knees on my shoulder and hands locked on my neck. As much as I try, he wouldn’t budge.

“I give!” I say with a choke. Rohan smirks smugly and stands up. He pulls me back to my feet. I shake my head in disappointment with myself. I almost had it if I wasn’t distracted. I’m such an idiot.

He passes behind me and taps me on the shoulder. I don’t bother to look at him, but he leans towards my left ear.

“Never lose focus, Hope,” he says. His breath gently brushes against my ear and neck and goosebumps grow on my skin. “And most importantly, never lose yourself.”