Chapter 6 | The Sorting Hat

Start from the beginning

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," the boy said. The children mumbled amongst themselves, whispering the familiar name multiple times in question. "This is Crabbe and Goyle."

He gestured to the two boys standing next to him, most likely his own little minions. The little blonde hair boy moved across the stairs, standing on the one higher than the other children's. He stared down at the boy with piercing green eyes.

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

The red haired boy standing next to Harry seemed to chuckle upon hearing the boy's name. The blonde haired boy turned his head in an instant, glaring at the boy with a sneer on his face. He narrowed his eyes at him suspiciously.

"Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. We'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort," Draco said while throwing a glance at the red haired boy. "I can help you there."

Slowly, Draco raised his hand and offered it to Harry. He waited patiently for a simple shake. Hesitantly, Harry looked down at his hand with narrowed eyes.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself. Thanks," Harry said with a sassy tone.

In response, Draco furrowed his eyebrows together in complete confusion. The professor returned from the great hall. She reached forward and tapped him on the shoulder with a piece of parchment. He turned around and looked at her with cowering eyes. He slithered back into the crowd, standing beside his two buddies.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me."

The two doors of the great hall swung open widely. There were four long tables for each different house, packed with students wearing their uniforms. The first year students made their way down the middle of the room, following the professor. They lifted their heads to see a bunch of waxed candles hanging over their heads by the means of magic. The ceiling looked like the night's sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History," Hermione explained to the child with no name. The little girl's mouth dropped open as she stared at the beautiful ceiling, gazing at it in awe.

The children made it to the front of the room. There was one more long table that ran horizontally near the back. The teachers and professors sat behind the table, looking at the various new students.

"Alright, will you wait along here. Please?" Professor McGonagall asked, motioning to the front area. The students crammed together, looking at the different teacher and professors at the table in front of them. They whispered amongst themselves, taking notice of a few well-know professors.

The little girl looked ahead of herself, staring at the stool next to Professor McGonagall. There was a pointy hat on the stool, much like hers. The hat on the stool looked a little more worn and dry compared to the one on Professor McGonagall's head. It had the color of a dirty brown unlike the rich black color of the professor's witch hat.

"Now, before we begin...Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," Professor McGonagall explained. The children turned their attention towards the old wizard as he stood to his feet. Their eyes went wide in realization, recognizing the man from some of their wizarding cards.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you," the headmaster announced.