Reminiscent

While the sun was just inches above the horizon, Astin sat down beside the window, fighting and accepting a series of emotions.

Lucia was there, in front of his eyes. After 277 years, he had attained a glance of her.

Destiny had paved the path which led Dawn back to Astin, their fate had given their love another chance. Maybe this time, we could finally be together.

No.

Astin c'mon, he said to himself. Don't get your hopes so high.

He consoled himself, trying to not get so optimistic.

He pulled out a black-and-white photograph which looked centuries old. The frame was occupied by two smiling faces, undoubtedly in love with each other. The girl had an alluring beauty, every feature so fine, and the spark in her eyes reflected even through the photograph. As the last beam of sunlight spread over the frame, a tear rolled down his cheek.

The first time in years, she had been so close to him, gorgeous and innocent as ever.

She was his true and last love. He knew he would never love anyone else the way he loved her. He dreamt of her every night, and thought of her every day. Not an instant went by when she wasn't a part of his existence. Whenever he thought of their moments together his eyes remained locked, as if they'd been struck by lightening.

And he abruptly stood up and drove to the forest, that road that diverged around the hills, where she had been in his arms for the last time.

As memories recollected, he was drawn back into that moment, that instant where everything was perfect. When he was happy. The last time when he had smiled.

As he walked towards the forest, he let hold of his memories, clear as it was then, while destiny led the way to the bench where they had watched their last sunset together, holding hands.

When he reached that place, it still felt warm. Unlike the other parts of the city, and the other days of his life, it wasn't cold.

It was warm, not due to temperature, but because of love.

His ecstasy couldn't be put into words.

She was back.

He felt alive again.

In the blend of love, dizziness and warmth, he rested his head on the bench and dozed off to sleep, smiling, celebrating her arrival.

Maybe it was all God's will and maybe its time for things to change.

The moon splashed its silver-white glow over the forest, illuminating his existence, while the trees silhouetted against the deep velvet black sky which promised a better tomorrow.