Chapter 1 - She's Gone.

Hey guys, this is my first story and I hope you like it, feel free to comment, or something :P This was just under three pages on word sooo, yeah, :) hope to upload regularly, but I have to write it sooo, maybe once a week? Comment if you would like to give me ideas on my uploading and if it’s your birthday tell me and I might do a shout out for you! Also sorry if you find this chapter a bit sad, but there shouldn't be many more sad chapters!

Thanks!

Emily :D

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

{Chapter 1}

“Mom? Are you home?” I yelled, whilst shrugging off my superdry and pulling off my little 3 year old brothers coat and shoes as he was now on the floor playing with his favourite teddy bear and his sleeping blanket called Blankey.

“Mom? Are you home?” I called once again. No answer. So I left Josh in the hallway and walked into the living room, after grabbing a bottle of spring water from the kitchen, to see my mother laid out on the floor, ghostly white with her empty anti-depressants bottle on the floor, two empty bottles of cheap vodka and another half-empty bottle of some other pills I didn’t know about. I ran to her side and picked up her frail wrist. I tried to take her pulse in both wrists and her neck but came up with nothing. What had she done? She did this to herself. I quickly called the ambulance and tried doing some chest compressions. When I heard the sirens I pulled Josh to my chest and opened the door. When the paramedic arrived I pointed to the living room and carried a now sleeping Josh upstairs throwing all of our clothing, shoes, essentials and toiletries into many different suitcases and travel bags. After I had thrown all our other important stuff into all the rest of the bags I could find, I threw all of it in my cherry red VW camper van. I took one last look around the house just leaving the furniture and some of my mother’s stuff. I picked up the family photo album that was laid next to her before the paramedics came, some my father’s old belongings and all the stuff of Josh’s that was spread over the room. I then ran back to the car, buckled Josh in his kiddie seat and did the same to myself. I then followed the paramedics to the hospital, where, once I had parked up, I sat back and let a frustrated breath out. I shook my head forcefully, I will not cry over her, she did this to herself and she obviously didn’t think about me or Josh. I was actually more worried about Josh, he now had no mommy to cook dinner and show him love, no daddy for him to talk to or to go to for help, I would do the absolute best I could but when he started to ask, I really wouldn’t know how to tell him he had no parents. So I hopped out of my van pulling the hair out of my face with a hair band and un-buckling Josh from his seat. After that I pulled him into my arms and walked across the car park to A&E’s main entrance, I took a deep breath and walked inside and up to the nicest looking receptionist, my black converse squeaking on the floor with every step I took.

“Excuse me miss but please could you show me to Mrs Baker’s room please?” I asked her, she then tapped a few random numbers into the phone and placed it against her ear. She said yes a few times and then looked up at me with sad sympathetic eyes.

“Um, I’m sorry chickie, the doctors tried everything they could but they couldn’t save her, they want you to inspect her body though if you feel you could.” She told me softly, I nodded once and followed her to a room that had a board on the door that read;

Sarah Baker

Age 36

Time of death: 6.28pm

I mentally composed myself before entering the dimly lit room. I raked my tired eyes over her cold lifeless body and let a single tear escape my eye. I pulled Josh closer to my body and took one step forward. I took one look into her light blue eyes and saw nothing. Not even one answers to the hundreds of questions swirling around in my head.

“Why’d you do it mum?” I whispered quietly, wondering why she really would. Then it clicked. The past three years she was so depressed and I was just like a mother to Josh so he knew he had someone. Over the past month she was worse, some days she would lie in bed all day long and she regularly skipped meals. I couldn’t spend one more second in this room, I covered her face with the cover, turned off the single lamp that was beside her bed and walked out. I was met by my Aunt Anna. My one last family member and wept into her arms. Once I had finished she pulled my car keys from my coat pocket and pulled me to my car. I bucked myself and Josh in the front seats with Aunt Anna and we took off. We quickly grabbed from the back mine and Josh’s quilt and pillow sets and my laptop. Then she drove us to Asda and we bought; cookies, chocolate m&m’s, chocolate bars, Doritos, Oreos, sandwiches, bottles of orange tango, a bottle of chocolate milk, sweets, a few magazines to keep me busy and a massive bag of toffee popcorn. While Aunt Anna paid (she insisted) I took a very tired Josh to the toilets. Once we had both been to the toilet and washed our hands, we met Aunt Anna at the entrance and walked back to my beautiful camper. The next three hours went by quite quickly and when we pulled up at the harbour to catch the ferry boat to where she lived, (I knew she didn’t live in Britain, but I hope it wasn’t somewhere cold), I called up Stephanie (my closest girly friend) and to my surprise my boyfriend Ivan picked up.

“Hello?” he asked

“Hello Ivan.” I said back questioningly, I heard him curse quietly and then he asked

“Why are you ringing Stephie?”

"Why are you answering her phone Ivan? Is something going on between you two?" I questioned back

“I asked first, so either you tell me or I will lie to her telling her you slept with her brother!” I gasped, what happened to my loving, romantic boyfriend?

“Um, well, I, um, I’m moving to another country with my auntie, because um, we have really bad family problems right now.” I forced out without blubbering.

“What about me? Us? I can’t believe you! If you wanted to dump me then you should have told me instead of lying! We’re over! You scheming cow!” and without letting me explain he hung up leaving me upset and confused. After I put my phone back in my pocket I burst into tears, over losing Ivan the cheating lying scumbag now, losing Stephanie, losing my mother, my father, moving, everything. Aunt Anna wrapped her arms around me and I sobbed into her lemon yellow shirt. When I had finished she said with a soft chuckle,

“Hey! Now I look like a bumble bee!” I giggled lightly. Then she drove to the ticket place and walked inside. When she came back to the car she had bought the three tickets we needed. She passed me the tickets to look at while she drove in and I gasped. We were going to Colorado. In America. A new start. When she parked in the car park on the ferry, we got out and walked to our shared suite as we would be on this boat for about a night and a day. I grabbed my three favourite movies (The Imbetweeners Movie, No Strings Attached and Grown Ups), all our changes of clothes and our toiletries, my ripcurl backpack and all the food and drink. When we walked into the suite I nearly dropped all our stuff. It had two double bedrooms, a large open-plan living room and kitchen and a huge bathroom with a shower and Jacuzzi. Once I had tucked Josh in his bed and I had texted my best guy friend Shayne telling him about my current situation, (which he totally understood and said he would come visit me in the summer holidays which were only a month away), I inserted The Imbetweeners Movie into the T.V and made myself comfortable on the couch. That night I fell asleep on the sofa after watching the Imbetweeners being idiots, wondering about my new home and making a promise to myself to live in the moment and not in the past. After all you only live once. And some longer than others as I’ve recently found.