01 | escape plan #1 = fail

[ graphic: @pinterest ]

measuring heartbeats
01 | escape plan #1 = fail

It's twenty-two minutes past midnight and the wind outside is howling against the window shutters in my best friend's bedroom.

Ten more minutes and then I'll be free. I won't have to listen to those whispers behind my back, no more pitiful looks in my direction and no one treating me like I'm breakable. A fresh start somewhere away from this small town where no one knows what happened. Where nobody knows what I did.

But that's the thing with fresh starts, sometimes they don't exactly happen as you want them to.

My eyes move away from the wall I had been staring at and turn to look down at the vibrating phone which is beside my head on the pillow.

Dean: B there in 5 babe, we're nearly out :)

A small smile makes its way onto my face as I type out a quick reply back.

me: ok. see you soon.

My best friend chooses this exact moment to roll herself over which means she's now facing the wall, away from me. I wait a few seconds until I can hear her light snores start up again before making my move.

Slowly I remove the blanket that's on me and push myself up into a somewhat crunching position on top of the thin mattress I had been sleeping on the last two weeks. My backpack is already packed beside me on the floor only holding the necessaries and a few more personal items.

Grabbing my backpack and phone, I slowly stand up on the wooden floors and quietly tip toe towards the bedroom door. I open the door a little, just so I can peek my head out to see if the coast is clear. It is.

"I'm sorry Sofia but this is something I've got to do, even you don't know my greatest secret and I hope you never find out." Because you'll never look at me the same way ever again.

Leaving Sofia sound asleep in her room, I move further along the hallway passing her parents room. The lights are off. I continue down the stairs, overstepping the last creaking one and placing my feet firmly on the front door rug. I try not to take too much notice of the picture frames decorating the wall beside me as I sneak up to the door.

My mum had done the exact same in our house, a whole wall dedicated to family photos. Turning my eyes away from the wall and sad memories, I go up to the front door and unlock it as quietly as I can.

"It's time to get out of here."

And with that, I slip through the crack and out into the cold winters air.

§

"You look like you're freezing your ass off!"

I roll my eyes at my boyfriends comment.

"Oh really? You don't say." I grumble getting into his BMW and throwing my bag in the backseat.

"Oh don't be like that babe, you know I was just joking." Dean tells me starting the engine back up.

You're probably wondering why, Jupiter, are you in a relationship with this jerk. Well the simple answer is, I had wanted to piss my parents off and being with Dean certainly did that job.