Aerospace I - Adib's Story

Start from the beginning

Mom could watch me leading Cherry into the woods from the window. I don't know what she thought. Cherry was a mature girl and I could feel her sexuality. But for the most part I was much more interested in the songs and the stories I told. It reached the point where I stopped holding her hand and would put a little space between us on the log. The whole thing just worked better without distractions.

I would even tell mom what was happening, but I don't think she got it. The songs and stories became normal and anything that had happen in my previous life was soon overshadowed. Cherry was home-schooled by mom, when I went back to school. It was my last year of high school.

As the fall moved in, we dressed warmer and rushed to the woods. Cherry sang even stranger songs in languages I could not guess at. I told stories of Viking warriors and farmers in ancient Iceland. I told of their battles with each other and their raiding of the coast of Ireland. They brought loot and women back with them. I knew the names of the characters even though I had never read the stories. I looked at the books and preferred my version. I watched the chiefs riding their small horses across the glaciers. No nice stories with this bunch.

There was that native myth story with the big owl eyes staring down from the night sky.

Cherry never talked to me much at first. Then in the deep of winter we walked out into the woods. I cleared the snow from the log and laid a blanket down. Cherry had just finished her song. Then she began a story in English. It was the same story that I had the vision of. We did not hold hands but we were even closer than before. We were joined. We had visions that were close. A rush of creativity before us. That was my first year with Cherry.

Chapter 2 : Learning to Fly

It was just like turning a page. You are interested in the page you look at and forgetting the page that is passed. I was that way with Cherry. When I went to Candle Lake to join the pilots school, I forgot all the strong feelings for her. I still had all the memories. Sometimes I got visions but it was second rate stuff.

I needed to feel independent. I needed to be totally focused, because I was not the smartest marble in the jar. But, they were only hiring native pilots and that gave me an edge. I was strong in math and had excellent motor skills. Even with a B+, I got the job after a year of study. I was a shuttle pilot of a plane with 2,000 passengers. They had phased out the older shuttles that used the tug planes.

I got home four days every couple of weeks. Life with Cherry would fall right back into place. No time had passed. Then I was back in orbit, docking with wheelships carrying 50,000 people. I made one trip each day. I was now contributing to the support of the family.

Cherry said to me over dinner. She was having the same problems I was worried about.

"I love you more than anything, when you are here. But when you are gone, I hardly think of you."

She told me about the site she used for learning about medical plants. She showed me the picture of the two sisters, Kimberly and Khloe. They lived on Mars. They were older than mom.

Cherry explained, "They learned about medicine when they were my age over in the Gulf Islands. I find the plants they talk about, just out here in the forest."

"They must have a fascinating history. You must research them more and tell me."

"I will. Shall we walk?"

This time I paid attention to just how close we really were. When I left, I immediately forgot the feelings. I talked to other workers and pilots. They seemed to think me odd.

I was in my second year as a pilot. I decided to talk to a social worker. He directed me to a psychologist. I went to Prince Albert. Robert Cove told me that my case was rare and he had no meaningful experience handling this problem. If I wanted to keep her, then I should marry her. Someone was sure to come around and steal her.