Chapter 29: First Classes

Mulai dari awal

"Just Liliane is fine. Good morning to all of you as well."

"Like wise. I'm assuming we all have the same morning classes?"

Alexander replied with a cold look on his face. I nodded with a smile, but he remained emotionless. Come to think of it, it's the first time I've met him in person.

"Um, I forgot my textbooks at the dorm. Could I ask one of you to share your textbooks with me?"

Clara spoke up timidly, blushing slightly. I suddenly felt a strong urge to start yelling at her for some reason. I hurriedly bite down my lip and step back a bit.

...this is an event, isn't it? The first day of school. The heroine, being the 'clumsy girl' she is, she forgot her textbooks in her room. The capture targets offer to share. Seemingly pampered by the three handsome boys, the villainess becomes jealous and criticizes her over everything, bringing the heroine to tears. The very first event in the Academy that started the relationship of us five people.

Well, that's how it's supposed to go. Surprisingly, Alexander not Lucas offered to share their textbooks. Obviously Ren or I didn't either. An awkward silence looms over the five of us. 

After seeing his speech and way of conduct, I'm concluding that Alexander has changed somehow as well. He seems much more...distant. Lucas too. I suppose it has to do with the change in behaviours of Clara and I. We are not originally supposed to be in this world, after all.

I felt it at my debutant ball as well, but there is a strong urge to yell or scream at Clara. I suppress it every time it happens, but somehow it almost consumes me. I feel like it's something like the will of the world. I don't want to admit it so directly, but this world is the otome game world. What we decide to do will effect the 'characters'. If we wished, we might be even able to 'clear' them. Hypothetically, of course. Since their personalities have changed, it is all unpredictable now. But the main story will probably never change. It hasn't since I was born. That event will surely happen.

"Why don't you go get them then? We still have some time before class starts. The dorms aren't too far away either."

Ren's answer interrupts my line of thinking. I look glance at Alexander and find him staring at me intently. When our eyes meet, he quickly averts them somewhere else.

Clara looked slightly dejected and surprised, reluctantly going out of the classroom.

"Liliane, could I talk to you for a moment at lunch, I want to tell you something very important."

"Alright."

While I was distracted by Clara, Lucas asks me if I can meet him at lunch with a serious expression. When I glance at Ren, he was kind of side glancing Lucas for some reason. As I was about to say something, an old teacher came into the classroom. He told us to take a seat wherever we liked.

The classroom had six rows of five desks. We each took a seat in the front row in the order from left to right, a child of an earl, Lucas, Alexander, Ren and me.

The bell rang a few minutes later, and Clara made right on time. She sat behind Alexander with a few other noble children.

"Good morning class. From here on for your first year, you will be coming to this class every day to study the literature of the world. My name is Christopher Rine. You will all call me Professor. Understood?"

The old man had a straight posture which showed his thin figure. His tone was sharp and strict, his hazel eyes looking directly into our eyes.

He swept his gaze over the class, looking at each of us very carefully.

"To be, or not to be; that is the question. Does anyone know who said that?"

...well...literature might be easier than I thought. It was probably thanks to my lessons with my tutors though. Plus the knowledge from my previous world.

The whole class continued with the revision of the most common and well known plays and poetry from earth. I couldn't help but sigh when I found that the classes would be this simple.

History and geography, they passed alright. With my constant studying with my tutors, I was able to grasp the hang of this world's history and geography. There were a few times I felt as though I didn't understand, but with the teacher's explanations, they turned out fine.

Math was probably the most easiest class I've had from all three so far. Arithmetics were simple for me; I was a high school student in one of Tokyo's hardest-to-get-into-highschools after all. I am confident in my skills. I'm sure I'll be able to pass the third-year class easily at this rate as well. Of course, if I make it until then.

After math class, the chime for lunch break sounded, and many students rush out of the classroom to hurriedly get their lunches from the academy cafeteria. I was about to leave as well, but Lucas grabs my wrist and pulls me in the opposite direction, towards the courtyard.

My food...

_______________________________________

After we reached the courtyard, Lucas let go of my arm and looked around carefully. He leads me under the shade of the tree in the corner of the area.

"What are you doing?"

"Checking if there's no one around us."

"I'm sure all the other students went to get some food. It's the beginning of lunch break after all. What did you want to talk about anyways?"

"It's about my father."

He whispers very quietly, covering his mouth.

"What of him?"

I whisper back. I give a glance to my left and right as well, wondering if there really was anyone else here. Highly unlikely, on the first day of school.

"He's embezzling funds from the crown."

!!