Inhaling sharply, I stare back - unable to avert my stare.

But then it's like I was never there. His gaze slides away, and he's walking towards a different chair, on the opposite side of the room, not once looking up. Not once looking in my direction.

By the time the whole class is filled up, I can barely see him. There are a handful of people sitting in my view line of his seat, blocking off any interaction that could have happened between us. Which is, obviously, a good thing.

No distractions, no worries.

No Will.

But every so often, I find myself drifting away from the lesson, and wanting to turn next to me, laughing at something stupid the teacher does. Sharing it with the person beside my chair, sitting at my desk. But I'm alone. It shouldn't be a shock, but it is.

And it's all my fault.

At break and lunch, I don't even bother to turn up to where my friends are. Call me a coward or whatever, but I just don't have the energy. In all honesty, I have no idea how Emily managed to deal with being at the same table as Fred. Talking to the people that he's talking to. And Will and I didn't even break up in the first place, because we weren't even together.

The next few days I spend at Winsor Dalton are possibly the worst days there that I've ever endured. A long, droning experience that seems to have lost the vigour it once had.

Of course, I didn't end up completely shutting my friends off. Sure, I was distant at first, but I realised it's important that I stay in contact with them. After all, I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen when this term ends.

Two weeks after Will and I had our argument, Emily, Maddy, Amie and I are all sitting in the dorm that belongs to Maddy and me - even though the others practically live here anyway - talking about how we haven't really spoken to the boys in a while.

Emily and Fred are still broken up, not even resolving a single issue. Of course, without their contact and Will and I's, there's not much in common we have with all of them. Sure, Zach came around for a while to speak to us, but eventually he stopped coming, and we stopped speaking to them around the corridors.

Amie and Callum seem to be on hold, seeing as Callum has lost all his courage after everyone found out that 'Jake' is leaving.

Or so we thought.

Because that day, just as we finish the conversation, a knock sounds at the door.

Maddy turns to me with a confused expression. "You expecting anyone?"

I shake my head. "No, you?"

"Not that I can remember?" She stands up, hesitating as she stares at the closed door. "Have we done something wrong?"

"Just open it." Emily says impatiently, not caring, although the fact that she's biting her nails suggests otherwise.

Reluctantly, Maddy slowly walks to the door, all of us jumping slightly when it knocks yet again. Sticking out a shaking hand, she places her hand on the nob and turns it. When it opens, she steps back. "Oh. What are you doing here?"

The door is opened even wider, revealing Callum, who is standing outside looking so incredibly nervous that my heart warms for him. "I...uh...I was wondering whether I could speak to Amie?"

All eyes turn on the girl at the back of the room, who is currently attempting to wipe marshmallow fluff off her face at light speed. She turns around and blushes. "Um, sure?"

The rest of us laugh at the two of them, sending each other secretive smirks as we watch Amie move towards him.

When she's standing there, she raises her eyebrows. "So, what's up?"