Discovering The Fire (A City of Heavenly Fire Fan Fiction)

Start from the beginning

“I’m not worried that I’ll fall.” She responded, though Isabelle had managed to wrangle her in heels of all things. She didn’t mind though, Clary was the closest thing Isabelle had to a sister, and vice versa. Clary had never imagined Isabelle as her sister, but she was.

“Then what’s wrong, darling?” Jocelyn asked her daughter.

In answer, Clary laughed, trying to put off some of the stress she was carrying, “I just want it to be perfect. I…” but she couldn’t speak the rest of her thoughts. She was at a loss of words.

“It will be.” And Jocelyn kissed her daughter’s forehead, careful not to ruin the makeup that Isabelle had taken hours to assemble. Clary would have much rather gone without, but Isabelle was new to this whole wedding planning thing, and she demanded that she do Clary’s makeup. Clary couldn’t have said no, for fear of Izzy’s wrath. Simon had been scared of his fiancé’s determination, too.

Just then, Izzy showed up before them, bouquet in hand and her dress falling in beautiful waves around her. She grinned at Clary, asking her silently if she was ready. Beneath the lovely mint green sleeves of Isabelle’s dress, Clary could see the design of fading, old and new runes etched into Isabelle’s skin. Clary smiled, looking down and seeing her own arms covered in Marks as well. Jace had told her just the other day that she looked more beautiful with them than without.

“Ready? We’re starting.” And without hearing her reply, Isabelle was off when she turned to see Simon waving at her, telling her that it was time, the beginning of the piano’s soft cadence floating into the air. Clary could see Lily, the vampire that had played the piano at her parents’ wedding, playing the same tune that she had heard so long ago. She remembered her mother asking Jace to play, but today was not Jace’s day, she could see him through the veil of flowers, standing below the arc at the head of the wedding party. He was waiting for her.

She nodded, though Isabelle had disappeared with Simon down the aisle. Isabelle was not her only bridesmaid, but she was her maid of honor. Isabelle had been ecstatic when Clary had asked her. Clary could see Maia walking, too, though unlike Izzy, she was standing alone, walking down the aisle. Clary had made the objective decision that Izzy and Simon would walk together, Alec behind them as Jace’s best man, and then Maia behind him. They had lost many friends in the Dark War, but this was a happy day and she didn’t want to think of their losses. She shook her head and took a deep breath. Luke extended his arm just as the music changed, a beautiful transition into Pachelbel, which Lily had taken her own twist in playing. Clary liked it though, and she was happy that the vampire had come, though she was not very close to her.

Jocelyn returned to her seat, trying to be quiet about it. Luke had taken Clary’s arm and was leading her down the aisle as the piano played behind them. Clary wasn’t sure where to look at first, but her eyes had found Jace, standing beside Magnus whom was acting as their priest, which was laugh-worthy. He was wearing a black suit, in the fashion of Shadowhunters despite this being a mundane-style wedding, and she could see the sheen of the golden runes etched into the material, the color the same as his eyes, staring at her from his spot, and his golden locks.

Luke’s hand tightened around her arm as they neared the end of the trail, and she hugged him as he reached up to give her away to Jace. She had promised her mother and Izzy that she wouldn’t cry, even though Izzy had been careful in applying waterproof mascara, but she couldn’t help the small tears that streamed her face as she thanked Luke. He was the only father that she had ever loved, and had ever really known. Valentine had never acted like a father, but she shook her mind from those thoughts. She turned and was focused solely on Jace.

His bright smile, turning up at one end higher than the other, and his bright eyes gleaming at her like she was the most beautiful person in the world. She was wearing the golden dress that she had worn for the Shadowhunter ceremony, because she actually really loved it. Everything was bathed in gold, like the heavenly fire that had saved their lives five years prior.