When we both leave, I have to lift her up slightly so she can reach the tap, but she's so incredibly light that it's hardly a chore. After washing her hands, she leads me out of the room, trotting back to where her mum is waiting.

"You're nice, big girl." She tells me as we're walking. "I like you."

"Big girl?"

She nods, a smile sprouting from her lips. "You're big girl, I'm little girl. And Will is stinky boy."

"Okay." I laugh, taking her to a grateful looking Harriet. "Bye Lillie."

She waves her little fingers, watching me leave. "Bye!"

The cottage is just as beautiful as it always is when we arrive, the fields around it white from the frost on the tips

The cottage is just as beautiful as it always is when we arrive, the fields around it white from the frost on the tips. Its door is still the same beautiful red, shining against the soft sun that peeks out from the trees. Wooden beams hold the structure, complimenting the brown bricks that are stacked around it.

We pull in, shortly followed by the Peters in their big family car. There's enough space for us to park in the driveway, so it doesn't take long for us all to get out and breathe in the fresh air.

I've known this cottage mostly for my whole life. When Vera and I were kids, going to the cottage would be our dream. We used to spend countless holidays here, making sure that we could use it whenever possible. Now, of course, we don't visit as often. Almost as little as once every two years.

Big arms wrap around my shoulders from behind, washing a wave of warmth over my chilling body. "Guess who?" The voice says, croaky and deep from sleep.

"Hmm, I don't know? Lillie? Sounds like it with the feminine voice and all."

The arms are lifted off my shoulder, followed by a short, sarcastic laugh. "You're really funny, you know that?"

Turning around, I see Will standing there, dressed in a big, knitted jumper and jeans. His hair is dishevelled as usual, but his face still puffy from sleep, eyes squinting with the light.

I flash him a grin. "I know. Thanks for reminding me."

Mum calls us into the house, once the door is unlocked and swinging wide open. As we walk inside, I'm hit with the familiar smell of oak and candles, reminding me of the Christmases that we used to spend here. When the lights are flicked on, a series of 'oohs' and 'ahhs' are let out by the Peters - particularly Harriet, who seems to be gushing about everything she sees.

"Right." Mum says, clapping her hands once the door is shut. "Seeing as there are only 3 bedrooms, I think the kids should have the attic, and us parents should take a room each."

She notices Will's confused face. "Don't worry, there are 3 beds in the attic - it's quite big. But you can always share one if-"

"Mum!" I shout, cutting her off before she embarrasses me further. This trip is already going to be bad enough.