Homeward Bound | 24

Start from the beginning

A round of applause sounds as she exhales, stepping off the podium and swapping places with her father, who squeezes her shoulder, smiling happily.

He adjusts the microphone, teeth dazzling as his eyes roam around. "Madeline is absolutely right. Winsor Dalton is incredible. But we wouldn't have such a good school without all of you, so another round of applause for our students. Thank you, thank you all. My job wouldn't be the same without you."

Ash nearly cries when we're all getting ready to leave

Ash nearly cries when we're all getting ready to leave. Will, Callum and I are getting the train home, while the others all have cars taking them to their countryside houses.

"But what if I never see you again?" He's saying to Will, who's laughing so hard he can hardly breathe.

Maddy rolls her eyes. "You'll see him, Ash. Calm your tits."

Fred and Emily are snogging in the corner, their faces glued together in a desperate goodbye. Amie, who's struggling to wheel her massive suitcase behind her, coughs loudly when she passes them, pretending to throw up.

Emily pushes her lightly, but she's still smiling.

After squeezing all the girls in one massive cuddle, we wave goodbye, the two boys and I heading to the bus which will take us to the train station.

"So how's Amie?" Will says, holding his bag over his shoulder on a strap. He's wearing a really cosy looking jumper and the coat that he got from Yates and Rivers.

Callum throws him a scowl. "Fuck off."

"You should just ask her out, Callum." I tell him, nodding as if to persuade him.

We walk further down the pavement, nearing the bus that is stopping. As we get to the back of the cue, Callum sighs. "Nah. I don't like her like that."

Will's the first one to jump on the bus, handing the driver his ticket before heading to the very back. He's so tall that putting his bag on the overhead carrier isn't even a strain.

Luckily for me, he takes mine and does the same without even needing to be asked.

Once we're all sat down, I raise my eyebrows at Callum, who is sitting at the window sulkily. "You clearly do. What happened to that flirty behaviour that you always used to have? Suddenly after that party it was gone. What happened?"

Will leans in, his breath fanning my face as he speaks to Callum, over me. "You kissed her, didn't you."

Callum scoffs, turning away so we can't see his face. "No."

"You did."

"I didn't."

"Callum, mate. You did."

"How the hell do you know?" He suddenly bursts out, flushing a deep red. Will and I share a smirk as he groans. "Is it that obvious?"

We both reply with 'yes' at the same time.