The gruinard project part 8

Chapter 43

The Blue Tower Suite Gleneagles Hotel 22.30

Philip Russell turned away from the television; the news from Welchem more evidence of how much Michael Sands had screwed up. It was a pity that the man was dead, as for the first time in years he would have enjoyed personally killing somebody. It certainly wouldn't have been quick and decisive like Lucas North's bullet had been. No it would have been slow and torturous, the man would have been begging for death by the time he had finished.

He poured himself a large measure of brandy in an attempt to get his anger under control. The op had been far from a success. Sands had been right Harry Pearce and Lucas North had proved themselves cleverer than he thought. But at what cost? The fact that Lucas North and Robert Mugabe had been admitted to the Western General Infectious Diseases Unit, evidence enough that they had been infected with Anthrax.

He took little pleasure out of this information; partial success was never enough for him and although two of the operation's aims had been achieved, the closure of Welchem was a huge failure. He would have to go to the time and expense of setting up again elsewhere to maintain production. At least the main store of the bacteria was not at the Welchem site. He had to acknowledge that Sands had been right to move most of the supplies when they had found out about Dr Ross.

News had yet to break about what was exactly wrong with Mugabe. When he had spoken to the PM earlier it was being referred to as a viral infection. Not even the Zimbabwean officials had been told the nature of the infection. That needed to be addressed and as all his operatives were either dead or in custody he would have to do it himself.

He headed to the bar which as he had suspected was busy, the police and secret service not allowing people to leave the hotel as of yet. He bought a drink and then mingled around. MI5 were no doubt tracking all communication to and from Gleneagles so he would have to be subtle.

It was a long time since he had been involved in an operation at hands on level but they did say that if want a job doing well do it yourself. Stealing the mobile was easy, the young waiter was so busy that the phone would be replaced before he even realised it had gone. Time being of the essence he sent a text message to the BBC news 24 team. It was just 12 characters long.

It was anthrax.

Satisfied that the BBC, who appeared to have no love for the current party in power, would see it as their duty to inform the public of this development, waited for the opportunity to return the phone. Calling the waiter over he ordered another drink and slipped the phone back into his jacket pocket. Once done he finished his drink and returned to his room.

MI5 Communication Suite Gleneagles.22.45

Malcolm looked at his computer screen.

"Harry we are tracking a mobile signal from here to the BBC. It does not appear to have been sent from any of the BBC employees who are covering this story"

"Find out who the phone is registered to."

Harry returned to the television monitors. As of yet nothing new was being mentioned by the news team.

"Harry the phone is registered to Jamie Fergusson. He is on the staff list as a waiter."

Harry turned to one of the other agents in the room.

"Find out where he is in this hotel and detain him for questioning."

"Sir Harry, Sir Richard Dolby is on his way up. He has had been asked for a response by the BBC's chief political editor Nick Robinson as to the rumours that this was an Anthrax attack." The room was buzzing with activity