0.2

[narration]

"daniel, i know i lied to you about your father being sick so that you would leave seoul and come back to busan, and i'm sorry for that. i know you're angry at me, at us, for lying to you, bu-"

"mum, cancel the plans you have with that girl and her parents. i'm not getting together with her." mrs kang sighed at the sound of her son's angry tone.

she didn't want to force her son to get married to someone he didn't like, but at the same time, she knew that she didn't have any other choice but to do so.

"daniel.. will you at least open the door so i can explain to you why i'm doing this?"

"mum.. i would rather not.. see you right now. can you just speak from outside my room?"

the woman felt her eyes grow watery.

the phrase 'i would rather not see you right now.' played over and over again in her head.

she took a deep breath, grazing her rough hand over a bruised spot on her thigh, "..okay, i'll talk from here."

"you remember dr yoo? he was the doctor who saved you when you got into that car accident a few months ago.

his daughter is a trainee surgeon. she was also one of the surgeons who assisted dr yoo during your surgery.

dr yoo told me that his daughter has shown great interest towards you, and that she would like to get to know you more.."

a dry chuckle emerged from the other side of the door, "mum, there's something i haven't told you yet.."

"i have a girlfriend."

mrs kang was left in utter shock at the sudden news. as much as she wanted to be angry at daniel for keeping his relationship a secret from his own mother, she was more dumbfounded than anything.

"you can't force me to get into a relationship with that girl. as much as i respect your decisions and you, i just can't do that. i won't do that."

she fell into deep thought, about what she could say to daniel to convince him to get together with the doctor's intelligent and beautiful daughter.

"daniel, i'm sorry that this has to happen. i agreed to the doctor's request under the impression that you weren't in a romantic relationship with another girl. but.. it still has to happen. i have no other choice, son."

the door slowly creaked open, and daniel stepped out of his room with a head full of dishevelled hair.

"mum, please, don't force me to do this." he was already close to going on his two knees and pleading for his mother to let him return to seoul.

"daniel, if i don't do this, we're going to lose everything. our only source of income right now is dr yoo."

daniel stayed silent for a long while, trying to process what his mother had just said.

"i know we've always told you that we have no financial problems, but we weren't exactly honest with you.

when you had to do that big surgery, we were completely bankrupt. your father had lost every single cent we had at that time on gambling.

i was lost. i didn't know what to do. when dr yoo approached me in the hospital, telling me that he would do your surgery for no cost at all, of course i accepted his offer.

after the surgery, he told me about his daughter, and how much she expressed her fondness towards you.

he also said that he would give us financial support if i agreed to let you get married to his daughter.

i was too desperate to even think straight, and so, i accepted that ridiculous offer."

another sigh escaped the woman's red lips.

"so, daniel.. you have to do this, okay? for me... for mum."

(a/n: this month passed so quickly?? in 2 hours it'll be february what the hell... also, have yall seen the super blue blood moon? i cant see it that well from my house but i can see a little tinge of red and its actually the coolest fucking thing ever omg)