9: The Night of the Dares, Fights, and Breakdowns

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

I shrugged even though she couldn't see me. "Okay, I'll just call someone else then."

"Who?" she challenged and I could imagine that her eyebrows were raised.

I said the first person who came to mind. "Layla." Remember her? The polar opposite of Kate.

"Okay then."

"Alright, bye." I pulled the phone from my ear and hovered my finger over the 'END' button.

I heard a groan before, "Wait, wait." I brought it back to my ear. "Fine, I'll do it. But you still have to tell me why you're going when you get to my house," she gave up.

"Kay, be there in a little bit," I said before hanging up and walking out of my house.

***

With a deep breath I walked up the front porch steps.

To say I was nervous was an understatement. My palms were sweaty and my heart is going to cause me a heart-attack. This is Alyssa and she has always said that one day she is going to make me in to a whole different person. The dresses she wears. . . they look amazing on her but I doubt they would look anything close to decent when I would wear it.

As I was about to knock, the door flung open and made a bang against the wall next to it. On the other side of the threshold was a very happy, very excited and jumpy Alyssa. "You ready?" She largely grinned I was scared the sides of her mouth were going to tear.

Before I had the time to answer with a 'not really' she was already hauling me up stairs to her room where all the supplies were on her table, from lip-gloss to a curling iron. And on her bed sat a black plastic bag with a hanger, I'm guessing the dress is hidden in there. Then my eyes landed on the mirror―or where the mirror was supposed to be. "I took it down so you wouldn't be able to see yourself while I'm busy. I don't let them come in my room," she explained when she took in my wide eyes. Alyssa had two brothers that always caused destruction wherever they go. You couldn't separate the two, you'd think they were attached at the hip.

She turned to me with a serious look on her face. "Explain."

I didn't need a repeat. "Me and Jacob are . . . talking again." I put my hand up so she didn't have a chance to interrupt my story. "We had a run in the hall. I was really close to slamming his face into the nearest locker. Then I had to tutor him because when we were yelling at each other it was first period. And I didn't get to go so Ms. Daniels said I was going to have to tutor someone if I didn't want any points taken off. When I found out it was him I tried to get out of it. But he begged and literally went down on his knees." I caught my breath. "We haven't actually studied yet but he promised we would if I went to this party with him."

"Why a party, though?" She scrunched her eyebrows in thought.

I thought back to his speech. "He said I have to get out more often. That I'm gonna wish I did when I get older." I shrugged.

She nodded slowly, "I can't believe I'm even thinking this but . . . I agree with him," she admitted reluctantly. "Sit down," she demanded and pushed on my shoulders, making me sit on the chair.

***
(a/n: sorry if you wanted the details of what alyssa put on her. I'm not experienced in the makeup department myself)

"Almost done," she said as the hot, sizzling iron was dangerously close to my ear. "Done!" she exclaimed and my heart sped up a little when she jumped while still holding the iron to my hair.

"Can I look now?" I asked impatiently. I wanted to see if I resembled a clown or if she put a minimal amount on.

She shook her head. "Nope. You still have to put on your dress." She popped the 'p'.