Chapter 1

Chapter 1 - 6 weeks later ....

"Adalyn," Madi yelled at the same time she burst through the break room swinging doors. "You're moving into your new apartment tomorrow," she squealed piercingly into my ear.

"Not so loud, Madi. Besides, you already know this," I said pulling my vest on. "You were there when I signed the lease."

"I'm so excited for you," she continued, oblivious that I had responded to her. She pulled her bouncy, brown curls into a ponytail, and sat next to me on the bench. If it weren't for Madi, I probably wouldn't have a job. Most businesses don't hire someone that has no experience.

"This is going to be a blast," she announced, fist pumping the air, smiling ear to ear.

Over the last two weeks, I'd learned that Madi could be a bit dramatic, over-the-top, and simply doesn't seem to fit in this town I've decided to call home. She took online college classes, but kept changing her major. Personally, I think she was afraid to leave, and that was the real reason why she couldn't make up her mind about her future. I don't blame her though, because I felt the same way. Her parents owned the hardware store where she's worked since she was old enough. She was the manager now, but only after she earned it.

Everyone in town knew that Rudd Archer had remodeled the second floor of his house, turning it into a separate apartment. Madi thought it was fate because Archer had no reason to remodel his home. A few months later, I showed up in town at exactly the perfect moment to rent his apartment. Madi had a theory that if more people remodeled, then more people would move to the beautiful town of Aster Lake. She then quickly squashed the theory, saying the town was perfect just the way it was.

My new apartment offered its own entrance at the back of the house, but the patio astounded me. I had a view of the crystal clear blue lake, and the mountains that sat behind it. After I caught a glimpse of the golden sunset, I was sold. I couldn't wait to experience the entire sunset, start to finish. The bathroom was small and there was no tub, which was unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. To make up for my disappointingly small bathroom, I had a nicely sized kitchen and bedroom. I felt a sense of pride, excitement, and nervousness all balled into one about moving into my first apartment, and it was the same feeling I had the day I drove into town. My mom was right, that I would know when it felt right.

Aster Lake, MT: Population 999 - That was the sign that greeted me as I drove into town. I had been traveling for about four weeks and told myself that enough time had passed. Plus, I was getting sick of eating fast food and living motel to motel. Besides, it felt right; deep down I got that feeling I had been waiting for, the feeling that told me this was the place to be. It was a small town surrounded by mountains, and I felt like I could easily blend in here. The thought that this could be my new home and that my new life could start here, had fueled me to hit down harder on the accelerator. I sped to the only hotel in town and paid for a whole week upfront. I set off to find a job the next day.

On my second day in town, I visited the diner. I needed a job and with my cooking experience, I figured that would be a good place to start. My mom's been teaching me to cook since I was a small child. Madi had heard me ask for an application, and she intervened by leaping haphazardly into my booth and went on to tell me that- no offense to the diner- I didn't want to work there. Instead, she explained to me that an employee of hers named Harry, wanted to retire and she needed someone reliable to fill his position. I wasn't sure how she knew I was reliable, but I felt like I couldn't say no. She seemed so happy to meet me, and barely left my side since.

So, at the ripe old age of twenty-one, or am I twenty-four now...I honestly couldn't remember, but didn't care about that, because I had landed myself my first job ever.