The death of it all

Start from the beginning

BARRY (whisper): "I promise..."

    Caitlin jerked her head to the side as she violently coughed before she brought it back up. Her eyes began to look tired and everything in her vision was blurry except for Barry. She smiled as she leaned in to give him a long, deep and passionate kiss.

    Their last kiss.

    Caitlin pulled back smiling. She gave him a wink as she spoke to Barry, her voice barely a whisper and sounding as if it scratched her throat.

CAITLIN: "Gove them something from me, my love."

    The light faded from her eyes and her head fell as Barry kept shakily stroking her cheek. He pulled it back slowly as the world around him faded back into real time. He vibrated his hand and whispered to himself.

BARRY: "No-one will make it out of this fight, I promise."

    He wiped his eyes, the death of his beloved not quite setting in. He pulled his cowl on and began vibrating, his lightning the darkest it had ever been. It sparked dangerously and spontaneously. He flashed around and shook facing the assembled heroes.

    The Green Arrow know he had made the right decision, the problem was simple. How would Barry react. If he shuts down that would be the desired effect. The one he really hoped wouldn't happen was that there would be no remaining link to Barry Allen and truly the Dark Flash. That... would end in death. Multiple deaths. He shivered, and turned to face the fallen hero while the other heroes still reeked in shock from what he had done.

GREEN ARROW: "Barry?"

    No noise escaped the Dark Flash for multiple seconds except from a growl. After about a minute of silence the Dark Flash hissed out a few words.

THE DARK FLASH: "Don't call me that."

    There was a blaze of lightning and the Dark Flash returned with the very much alive body of a miss Iris West. Neck behind his arm. Held in a choke. Almost... reminiscent of the hood, in his early days.

THE DARK FLASH: "Barry Allen is dead."

    A crack filled the air as Iris' body fell lifeless. The Dark Flash dropped it at the Green Arrow's feet - a dark, murderous glare set on his face.

THE DARK FLASH: "You made sure of that."

    There was an ominous pause that filled the air. The Green Arrow crouched down and checked Iris' pulse. 0. She was dead. He may have not been her biggest fan but the point was the same. This was his fault. He stood back up and levelled his vision at the Dark Flash.

GREEN ARROW: "Are you going to tell me there was any other way? This has to end tonight. And I don't fancy losing."

    The Dark Flash's increasing anger could be visibly seen. His lightning was sparking outwards in a larger radius than before. He glared menacingly at all of the heroes, planning his first target.

    Supergirl stepped forwards to be in line with the Green Arrow. She was still not quite over the shock, but knew that she had to do something or there would be many more casualties than there currently were. Unlike her comrade, however, she was in a much less tense stance. She still believed diplomacy was an option. She takes another step with her arms outstretched.

SUPERGIRL: "Barry, stand down. We don't want to fight you."

    His head snapped to Supergirl. He sped behind her and vibrated his hand. He shoved it into her lower abdomen via her back. He whispered in her ear as he did so.

THE DARK FLASH: "Don't say that name. There was only one person who was allowed to say that and I didn't see you helping her live."

    He withdrew a vibrating hand from a spluttering and coughing Supergirl. He kicked her forwards and she fell to the floor.

THE DARK FLASH: "I'll deal with you later."

    He then flashes to behind the group and stares down the Green Arrow.

THE DARK FLASH: "First, Oliver, I'm going to kill Felicity so you know exactly how I feel. Then, each and every one of you so called heroes will die. Finally Oliver, when you're like me and you've truly lost everything, I'll kill you."

    The hero and the villain stared each other down for at least a minute, waiting for the other to make the first move. The Green Arrow tightened his grip on his bow. The Dark Flash stood stronger on the ground, ready to run. A minute passed... then the Dark Flash ran. He ran straight towards the Green Arrow. The Green Arrow fired. The final battle was coming to it's final act.

*Now, before you all kill me, just read to the end of the next chapter.*