5 | calm before the storm

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏CALM BEFORETHE STORM▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
CALM BEFORE
THE STORM
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

CASSIAN WHIRLS AROUND to face Cecelia and Woof almost immediately after the train's doors slam shut and Cabel leaves to find alcohol. "So, what's your play?"

Ontari sighs, feeling the tension thicken in the small compartment as her brother's angered eyes sweep between their two ex-mentors. "Cassian—"

"No." He holds a hand out to her. She doesn't remember the last time she's seen him so confrontational with anyone; the Quarter Quell must be already taking its toll on him. "I want to know who paid you to keep your mouths shut."

Cecelia's mouth is set into a thin line. She's usually calm, but her fierceness is nothing but apparent in this moment. "You do what you have to in order to survive. We did what we had to."

Woof shakes his head, putting a wrinkled hand on her shoulder. "No, that's not why we stayed quiet. What CeCe means is that— well, look at us. I'm an old man. Cecelia just had children. You two are young, spirited, full of the vitality that is exactly what this revolution needs. If someone is going to spark a change, it isn't going to be us."

Ontari doesn't blame her former mentors and long-time friends for what they did. The twinge of betrayal she first felt during the reaping has faded away after Woof's explanation, evaporating as she realizes he's right. The two youngest victors of their district are most likely to survive. Not only that, but they both have enough anger and allies to get the job done. Johanna Mason, Annie, Wiress, Beetee, Finnick. It has to be them.

She shifts so she's facing Cassian, who's glaring a hole into the carpeted floor. "Think, Cass. Woof is right. It's like I said before: what better way to destroy the Capitol than to do it in their own Games?"

Her brother stays quiet, mouth twisting into an unsure expression.

"They have a new Gamemaker," Woof explains, clearly hoping to win him over. "His name is Plutarch Heavensbee, and rumors say that he's..." his voice drops despite the fact that they're alone, "more than willing to aid us."

Cassian tilts his head to the side suspiciously. "And who told you that?"

"Paylor," the man answers immediately, effectively shutting down the younger one's suspicions.

Paylor — or, as she's becoming known to be — Commander Paylor, is the leader and organizer of the uprisings in District Eight. She's a swift, direct woman whose sometimes brutal honesty cannot be doubted. If something comes out of Paylor's mouth, it's always true.