1 | sibling rivalry

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏SIBLING RIVALRY▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
SIBLING RIVALRY
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

A SOFT GRUNT escapes the boy's lips as he hits the ground with a thud, his skull smacking against the mat so hard that it bounces back up. Ontari stands over him with a sword pointed at the hollow of his throat. The boy laughs breathlessly, a dry chuckle that makes her scowl as she inches the blade closer to his skin.

"That was a good move, Tari," he praises through gasps of breath. His hazel eyes flicker between the hilt of the sword and her face. "But  do you really think it's going to be that easy to take me down?"

Before Ontari can muster a reply, he reaches up and slams the side of his fist into the back of her knee. She loses her balance as a result and he seizes the opportunity to roll out from beneath her. Knives twirl expertly between lean fingers as he jumps to his feet. Ontari whirls around, using both hands to bring the sword down close to his neck. The boy deflects the blade with that of his knife and ducks to avoid another swing. Just as he reels his arm back to throw his weapon, a voice breaks out between their feud.

"Dinner is ready, and if you two don't stop trying to kill each other in the next two minutes, I'll have your heads."

A tall girl stands in the doorway, leaning against the grey wall and boredly picking at her manicured nails. Her dark hair is done in some intricate braid that makes Ontari go cross-eyed if she tries to follow where it goes. Her sharp features are striking to anyone's eyes, but Ontari has seen her so often that they don't amaze her at all. After all, they're sisters.

"I don't see how we can kill each other with foam swords and knives," the boy grumbles as he throws the pretend weapons to the side. He runs a hand through his pitch-black hair that's already tousled enough as it is. He pats Ontari on the back with more strength than necessary, shooting her a wide, playful grin. "After all, it's all in good fun. Right, O?"

She punches her younger brother in his left biceps. "Shut up, Cassian."

Hestia, their sister in the doorway, rolls her hazel eyes and looks up from her nails. "Dad is going to slaughter you if you don't come within the next thirty seconds, and I can't deny that I won't do the same."

Ontari has been dealing with Hestia for all of her twenty-three years of age, so her threats merely bounce off of her. They're empty as it is. Hestia can pack a punch when she wants to, but she mostly just keeps to herself as if being engaged has simmered down her thirst for beating people up. Her sister is the oldest of the three at twenty-six, with Ontari in the middle and Cassian the youngest— twenty-one.

Hestia turns sharply on her heel and exits the room. The two remaining siblings share an exasperated glance before heading across the mats of the family training room and out into the hallway. Since there are two houses in District Eight's Victor's Village that belong to the Nightfall family, Ontari and Cassian share one while the rest of the family occupies the other. This house is more lively than the colder, emptier house across the street. Their parents have always found a way to make anywhere feel like home.