Chapter 1

It was the first day of school back at Jade Academy. Dragonets where  running frantically around everywhere, running into their friends and peers and saying hi.
Qibli, Moonwatcher, Kinkajou, Carnelian, Umber, and Winter all sat together in the library. They were having their first small group discussion, and Tsunami was talking to them about some new rules that had been put in place, and everyone was intently listening... except Qibli.
   Summer was nice, he thought. I spent time with Moonwatcher, and Kinkajou was pretty cool to hang out with... He couldn't help but crack a smile and raise his wings at his next thought.
And I spent a lot of time with... Winter.
   Qibli was so madly in love with Winter, and surprisingly, wasn't ashamed of it. Every night, he would dish to Moon and Kinkajou about his 'crush' on Winter.
But, he knew Winter would never love him like he loved Winter. He wasn't so sure Winter loved him at all. I think he just saw him as one of the 'bros', which kind of made his stomach turn.
   "So, enough about boring old rules. How was everyone's summer?" Tsunami said, flipping around her chalkboard to the empty side.
  "Ooh, ooh, ooh, me first!" Kinkajou exclaimed, turning yellow. "Uh, sure, Kinkajou, the floor is yours," Tsunami said, moving to the side so Kinkajou could stand in front of everyone.
"Okay, so I had sleepovers with my best friend Moon like, EVERY night! I hung out with Winter and Qibli, I just had a fun old time! It was the best summer EVER!"
   She sat back down and nudged Moon with her wing, causing Moon to fall off her stone. "Oops, sorry! Your turn!" Kinkajou smiled.
Moon faked a smile and stood up in front. "Well, I had a pretty good summer," she said quietly.
It's annoying how after a year, she's still quiet around us. Talk about spineless. Get a backbone, Moon, Carnelian thought, which made Moon even more nervous. "Um, I know I'm not as close to everyone in the group, so some of you probably won't know this, but I actually got sick over the summer, and I still haven't recovered," she coughed. Everyone went silent. "Do you think you'll be okay? That you'll recover soon?" "Oh! I'm sure.. I'm..."
Moon began. She started to feel dizzy, and she fell over, only catching her fall by grasping a stone. "Moon!" Winter called, running out of his seat and grabbing her talons, supporting her.
   Qibli didn't want to, but he rolled his eyes. Winter always pays attention to her. Even if I was dying, would he care? Nope, Qibli thought grumpily. But poor Moonwatcher catches a cold, and suddenly she needs support?
Qibli felt bad that he said this stuff about one of his best friends, but he had some reassurance knowing Moon couldn't hear his thoughts. She told him she had learned to block them out because she knew how bothered he got when Winter would help her, but not him, and she knew how mad Winter got in his thoughts, and she didn't want to hear that. "Okay, everyone calm down!" Tsunami assured them.
   "I'm fine, really," Moon said, pushing Winter back and escaping his talons. She looked at Qibli, and gave her a pouted look. He got what she was trying to say, though.
He knew that look all too well.
I'm so sorry.