3. ARE YOU REALLY SORRY?

❛ Are you really sorry, Wheeler? ❜

"YOU OKAY, MAX?"

Max looked up at Jane, "Yeah, I'll be fine."

Jane looked at her unbelievably, "Max, I know you're lying. They told me you like him."

"I'm-I'm, please don't get mad. I-I-"

Jane laughed, "It's okay, it's fine. I'm not mad."

Max raised a brow, "You aren't? How come?"

Jane tergiversate, "Mike is my first love, and he will always be. I just- want to experience more. It's a long story but I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Okay, I understand. But I want Mike to like me. He's not even nice to me and I don't even know why. I'm starting to warm up to him but he's being ungrateful about how nice I am. He's taking advantage of my kindness sometimes." Max ranted. It surprised Jane on how much she's ranting on about Mike. Max didn't just like him- she loved him.

Jane licks inside of her mouth, hesitantly, "I-I don't know. I mean, he's just doing this for a reason..."

Max stood up from sitting on the floor of Mike's house, Mike was asleep but the boys were in the living room while the parents were just in their rooms. Max had came back only because of Jane. "Do you know why? If you do, please tell me!"

Jane looked up at Max. She stood up and went upstairs, heading straight for Mike's room.

"No, no, no, no, no!" Max's voice faded as she followed Jane upstairs. Max stopped at the doorway as she saw Jane shaking Mike to wake up and he was on the verge of it. Max tried to get Jane off of him and she did.

"Jane, I don't want Mike to know I'm here! Just let him sleep!" Max's voice immediately woke Mike up. He quickly got out from his bed as Max quickly turned around.

Mike fumed, "Why the hell are you in my room? El?"

Jane apprehensively lifted her hand up as a sign of waving. Max chucked El's hand down in force.

Mike yelled precisely at Jane, "Jane, did you bring her here?! You know I hate her!"

"You're going to apologize to Max! She doesn't deserve this bullshit you're giving her." Jane cursed which surprised Max a lot. Max smiled which made Mike rolled his eyes and turned his head towards Max, "Can you leave, please?"

Max crossed her arms, "Unless you apologize."

Mike rolled his eyes. He spoke at her sullenly, "I'm sorry. Now leave."

Jane's eyes turned into pure anger. She looked towards a book that Mike had. Using her telekinesis, she lifted up the book and hit Mike in the head.

"What the hell, Jane?!"

"Apologize!"

Mike turned to Max, slowly but surely, "I'm sorry, Max."

Max was surprised. She didn't think that Mike could do it. Mike was surprise himself. He didn't think he could do it either. He was pressuring himself to not apologize and just go off on her but now, he can't.

He was trapped in the apology and inside, he promises he wouldn't break it. But why? Why couldn't he just get over the apology? Why couldn't he just pretend that he never did it? Why couldn't he just push Max out of his life? He couldn't. Why?

"Are you really sorry, Wheeler?" Max asked Mike, daintily. He looked up, his eyes limp.

"Yeah... I really am."

And that sentence made Max and Mike smile brightly.