In Hogsmeade: Year 4

Depuis le début

Dear Amisty,

I hope you're doing okay. I just got around to reading that article in the Prophet, and I just want you to know that I am in no way upset with you. I am, however, incredibly furious with this Draco Malfoy. You spoke so highly of him in your letters last summer, Amisty, I'm disgusted with how he acted. But I promise I won't do anything unless you want me to. I know this is your own battle to fight and I hope it isn't as bad as the rumors are saying. Is it true you're really getting Howlers? I don't know how much of Echo's traits you've retained but I know Howlers used to be a big issue with her. Please be careful, and never open any letters that you don't recognize, including those wretched Howlers. Throw them in the fire, hand them off to someone else to open for you, just stay away from them. Your friend Hermione owled me earlier this week saying you got in an argument with Harry and Ron over this. I'm sure they'll be your friends again soon, you can't be friends for four years and let something like this come between you.

She smiled at that, her gaze flickering over to Ron (whose plate was already cleared, somehow) and Harry, who was dutifully giving her space to read the letter.

And if Malfoy does anything like this ever again, there's nothing you can do to keep me from doing something. I am your father, after all, and I'm on this earth to protect you. Spoiled brats included. Keep safe, and don't forget to keep eating. One of my own bad habits I have yet to break. Come visit when you can, show everyone that this doesn't bother you, not matter how much it does. Chin up.

I love you, Dad

"Are we allowed to go kill that ferret yet?" Ron asked when she finished, his blue glare fixed at the Slytherin table.

Amisty restrained herself from looking over, knowing full well she wouldn't be able to look away.

"No," She shook her head, smiling faintly. "If my dad can keep from doing it, so can you."

"Not even one little jinx in the hallway?" He pleaded.

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Ron, she's already -- "

"Not even one little jinx in the hallway," Amisty replied.

"Who're we jinxing in the hallway?" A familiar voice asked, and Amisty felt her smile falter slightly as Fred and George slid into seats next to them.

"Who else?" Ron replied, giving them a knowing look.

"The git who made you," George stared at Amisty, "leave the Gryffindor table for two weeks."

"Sorry?" She offered hesitantly.

"If you're worried about us being upset, Amisty, don't be," Fred added, biting into a carrot. "Saw you talking to him instead of murdering him at the Yule Ball."

"And you didn't tell us!?" Ron almost shouted, glaring at his brothers as Amisty went pink in the face.

"And have this happen even earlier?"

"I don't think so."

Ron scowled.

"Besides, it wasn't any of your business who she fancied, especially since she certainly doesn't anymore," George raised an eyebrow. "Right?"

"Right," Amisty nodded seriously. "But you're not jinxing him in the hallway."

"What if he just happens to eat a Ton-Tongue-Toffee?" Fred offered mischievously.

"Not a toffee person," She shrugged. "I appreciate your concern, though."

They didn't look convinced.