17

REN'S POV

We hop out of the cab and I take in my surroundings. Manhattan. I gasp. I've never been here before despite my love for this borough.

I'm so lucky with Grayson. I put my all on the line when I told him about my past. I'm good at reading people yes, but I had no idea what to expect from Gray. He reacted better than I thought and I'm so glad he's not holding my past against me.

But I knew he never would. He's not like that. I wish I understood that more when we were in my apartment. All he was trying to do was take my pain away and I was too focused on the negatives.

Never again. Not with Grayson and I know, he's the person I'll wait for to lose my virginity. One day. When we're both ready.

I look up at Grayson, my mouth agape in disbelief. He nods upwards. I follow his vision and gasp when I see the Empire State Building.

He didn't.

"Grayson! What the heck?" I squeal in excitement, giving him a tight hug, barely noticing everyone walking past us on the sidewalk.

"You're going up the Empire State Building." He states, feeling proud of himself and I shake my head.

"No way. I can't believe you thought of this."

But I can believe it. The way he listened when I told him about my happiest memory. I told him how much it meant to me, and how it reminds me of my mom. Grayson is without a doubt amazing.

"Someone told me they've always wanted to come here." He winks and I knock his shoulder, not before giving him a wild smile. "Come on." He grabs my hand and we walk in the building.

We finally got into the elevator, going straight to the top. "This is definitely a date." I tease him and he scoffs.

"Ren, I've known you for a week, are you kidding?" He says but I can hear the sarcasm and I laugh.

The elevator stops at the top and I'm met with the best view I think I have ever seen. I block out the other tourists and focus on the view and Grayson's grasp on my hand.

I lean up against the glass of the window on the 86th floor, still in disbelief that I actually made it to the Empire State Building. This is incredible. All of New York City's skyscrapers are so perfect. It's almost too good to be true.

I gasp, walking around the floor to see every angle of the view. "Oh my god." I mumble.

"What do you think?"

"It's everything I thought it'd be." I shake my head, still trying to absorb the view.

The city is so beautiful. I'd love to live here one day. I remember Gray saying the same thing last week.

Who knows, maybe one day, we could live together. I mean, we already live in the same apartment building together, whats the difference if we actually lived together.

Speaking of the apartment building, I'm so proud Grayson contacted his parents. To think it was because of me, I'll always feel joy that I could help him reconnect with his parents. He really deserved that from his parents.

"Have you been up here before?" I ask, looking up at him.

"It was the first thing I did when I got to this state." He says and I smile.

I lean into his side and his arm wraps around my shoulder.

"It's so beautiful." I say.

I feel like I'm a kid, back in the Xerox Tower with my mother. Seeing the world from a different height for the first time. I saw the world with rose coloured glasses. Seeing the good in things, the beauty in it all.

Grayson has helped me reconnect with that memory and this memory makes me just as happy as the last one. He told me to surround myself with people that'll help me see the good in things. It's him. He helps me see the good things in the world.

Bringing me to one of the best views in the world is Grayson's way of showing me some parts of the world are in fact beautiful. And I love him all the more for this reason.

The universe is pretty amazing. It didn't curse us at all.

The first time I saw a beautiful view, I was with my favourite person in the world. Now, I'm seeing another view of New York with my new favourite person in the world.

This really goes to show that he knows me like no one else. All he needed was one night to figure me out and it astounds me. He knows everything and it feels so good to trust someone, to trust him. I'll never take him for granted.

"Ren?" He breaks me out of my thoughts and I look at him, admiring the better view.

"Yes?"

"I never got the chance to tell you this before but... you're my favourite in the world too." He says with confidence and I can't help the smile that plasters on my face.

I grin from ear to ear and I grab his chin, bringing his lips to mine. This is everything.

This is my new happiest memory. On top of the Empire State Building with my favourite person. Nothing tops this.

I'm so glad I went on the rooftop on New Year's Eve. It scares me to think what could've been that night... I never want to find out. Because I have Grayson in my life, finally.

I love him so much.

THE END.
______________

i hope this story was worth the wait!! i loved writing this short story.

who's pov did you like better?

i hope you enjoyed the rooftop.