CHAPTER TWO

02

02. I DID SOMETHING BAD

[August's secrets only begin to come back to haunt her]

"That is how heavy a secret can become. It can make blood flow easier than ink."

― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

TW: age gap relationship, semi (but not explicit) sexual situation

  After her conversation, if you could call it that, with Jughead at Pop's, August had to go to school. She quickly wiped the few tears that had rolled down her cheeks and fixed her makeup in the car mirror. She couldn't possibly show up to school with tear-streaked cheeks or smudged mascara. The drive to Riverdale Highschool was short and didn't exactly help with the anxiety that filled her head and made her hands begin to shake. 

 She made her way to the front office to re-enroll, a consequence of switching from Riverdale to the study abroad program. She signed a few papers and the office secretary handed over her new schedule. August scanned the yellow paper quickly, taking notice that she got most of the classes she wanted. AP Government,  Music Enrichment, Creative Writing, AP Biology...

 As she walked into her first class she looked for any familiar faces and found only one, Archie Andrews. 

"August!" He whispered in her direction and nodded to the seat next to him. August couldn't say no, because at one point Archie, along with Betty and Jughead, had been her best friends. From the young age of five to right before she left for France, they were as thick as thieves and practically inseparable. Then, she slept with Jason Blossom. Which, in retrospect, was not a good idea and was just the beginning of her sins. In her defense, she was drunk and so was he. Luckily, Cheryl never found out about their torrid affair and August prayed that she never would. Only Jughead, Betty and Archie (And of course Jason, but he had been missing for months) knew and August planned to keep it that way.

 So, she took the seat next to his. She let out a soft 'Good morning' and returned the gesture.

"You look different-- In a good way I mean." He stammered out, smiling out her.

"I needed change, you know?" She pulled out her books and such, placing them neatly on her desk.

"And moving across the world wasn't enough?" It came out meaner than he intended, but he hoped that August thought nothing of it.

"I guess not." She rebuked, looking up to meet his eyes. But as the new teacher walked in, August's eyes were pulled away from the redhead to the man that had just entered. She sucked in a large breath, her eyes stuck on her teacher. A sense of dread filled her and she began to panic. What the hell?

 The man locked eyes with her, and a sense of realization came over the both of them.

The airport in Paris, only a week ago, skin on skin.