Part 1 (Haruko's pov.)

"So you're not joining the MWPSB?" one of my friends asked when we were out to dinner. She had long black hair, and glasses that covered her deep brown eyes. "I thought you'd be itching to get revenge."
"Nah," I said. "Honestly, if Mom and Dad couldn't bring this mass murderer to justice, I don't think I could."
"But you still hack into their system once in a while to get updates?" my other friend asked. It was a boy with very messy, spiky orange hair. All three of us got A ranks for becoming the CEO of a couple companies and the MWPSB, the Ministry of Welfare Public Safety Bureau. If I did join, I would go to the CID, the Criminal Investigation Department. We got the choice to choose.
"I'm defiantly going for it anyways," the girl said. "I mean, only few kids are able to get such high ranks these days, right, Haruko?"
"I know, I know," I said. "But just because my parents were really good detectives doesn't mean I will.
"What about your older brother?" the boy asked.
"Akihiko!" the girl hissed. "Forbidden topic!!" The boy, Akihiko, slapped both hands over his mouth.
"It's alright, Koharu," I said. "I'm over it." Once my parents died about three months ago, my older brother, Haruo, disappeared. I don't know where he went or why, but he hasn't come home since then. I️ was able to do part time jobs to keep the apartment we owned, but other money Koharu and Akihiko had to loan me. Of course I️ felt bad, but they said they'd hurt me if I️ didn't take the money.
"Anyways," Koharu said. "Are we still on for the sleepover tonight?"
"Of course," I said, nodding. "I have a feeling I'm going to come up with something tonight, though. You guys wanna come over and see?"
"Heck yea!" Akihiko said. "I'm in!"
"Why not?" Koharu sighed. She waited a moment before continuing. "Haruko?"
"Hm?" I asked, starting to eat my dinner that a drone brought over.
"We will join the MWPSB with you, if that's the job you choose." I looked at her and Akihiko and smiled.
"I know," I said. "But couldn't you guys pick a different job?"
"We want to be there with you," Akihiko said. "Let us do that for you. Please, Haruko." I looked down at my food, loosing my appetite.
"Yeah," I said. "I know."
"Alright!" Koharu said. "Enough depressing talk! Let's eat dinner and head over to Haruko's place!"
"Sounds good," Akihiko said and we started eating.
After we were done and paid for dinner, we headed over to my apartment building. I lived on the 20th floor, the top floor, of the apartment building. Three bedrooms, one bath, one kitchen/dinning room/living room, and sliding doors leading to a balcony.
   "Come in," I️ said. "Do you want any juice?"
   "Sure," Koharu said, going into my room and sitting on the queen size bed.
   "Hello Haruko!" my home security hologram said to me. It looked like a doll, with clothes and pale arms, legs and head. "What do you want your apartment to look like this time?"
"It's fine normal," I️ said. "You can go." She nodded and disappeared. I️ opened my freezer and took three small cups of ice cream out.
"Here," I️ said to Koharu and Akihiko. "I️ tossed them the ice cream and sat at my desk. Akihiko got off the floor and leaned over my shoulder as my hologram computer got booted up. I️ put my hand up and moved one of the three windows over to the side.
"Wow," Koharu said, looking at a pair of gloves and a headset next to the computer. "I️ didn't know you were an online gamer." I️ grinned.
"Beat every detective game out there," I️ said. "They were difficult, but I️ did it to hone my skills." I️ turned back to the three open windows and saw one of them was the login to the MWPSB website.
"There it is," Akihiko said. "I️ can finally see you hack into their system."
"I'm technically not hacking into the system," I️ said, using my mom's account to log in. The window was filled with file folders and I️ scrolled down until I️ found the one on Makishima. Opening it, three pictures of him popped up. I️ moved them over and looked at the documents. Opening the most recent one, I️ scanned it.
"No way," Koharu said quietly. The three of us stared at the document, processing what it said. "'Shogo Makishima, killed around 19:48 PM yesterday. Bullet wounds were found, and a reasonable amount of blood was lost.'"
"Well," Akihiko said to me. "What job are you going to do now, Haruko?" I️ spun my desk chair around, logging out and turning my computer off.
"How about we put our job chooces in first thing tomorrow?" I️ asked, my face full of excitement.