Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

It was too harsh and in the end, Lily was hurt terribly too because the truth had nearly punched her in the face as Severus directly called her a mudblood to her face. Lily was stubborn and Elspeth found her annoying but the girl didn't deserve that, the entire situation had gone far beyond what it needed to in order to get a point across. 

Instead of sleeping in the dorms and hanging around the corridors or common room when she was finished with her exams for the day, Elspeth hid away in the Underworld. She also sent a letter to her parents that she didn't wish to take the Hogwarts Express home, she wanted them to pick her up in Hogsmeade.

Fury fueled the young woman and Hades was familiar with the emotion, but not so much when it came to the girl. Normally, Elspeth entered the Underworld with a bright and lively demeanour, full of cheeky jokes and teasing laughter. However, the girl that was coming every day for her training, was truly not the Elspeth he had met and watched over. He attempted several times to discuss the situation at hand, but each time, Elspeth made it clear that she did not wish to speak about it in the slightest. All that was mentioned was that she no longer had friends and she wasn't dating anyone. That's how she was leaving it and it called for no further discussion.

Hades did not want the matter to settle so easily, he honestly thought about punishing Sirius and the boys in ways that they couldn't imagine, but he wouldn't betray Elspeth's trust that way. She said she was done with it all and he had to respect that even if he was just as angry with the entire situation. However, even when she claimed to be done with it, there were days where she would venture to the Underworld cursing all of their names under her breath to the point where Hades had to be cautious that she didn't cover the world in shadows and darkness out of rage. 

"I believe it would be best if you take a small break from your training," Hades informed her one morning, " it does not help your mental state to simply channel all of your anger into your abilities. That makes you dangerous and I do not wish for you to hurt yourself. Take a couple of days to gather yourself, Elspeth."

She found herself barricaded from entering the Underworld, leaving her basically exposed to the castle and those that dwelled inside, which was the last thing she wanted. 

Finding an abandoned corridor to sit in, Elspeth knew she just had to make it until the morning and her parents would be in Hogsmeade to take her home. Of course, they were full of their own questions, wondering if everything was alright because she never refused to take the train before. She claimed that she would explain everything once she was home, but for now, they were just going to have to go along with the request. 

The girl could only hope that even with her distracted mind that she had done well on the written exam for Transfiguration. She could hardly bring herself to read the questions at first, having Sirius, James, Peter, Remus, and Lily all around her, it was leaving her to feel nauseous. Several times out of the corner of her eyes, Elspeth caught them looking in her direction, they all looked like they wanted to say something, but they probably did believe that if they did approach her that she was going to snap on them. She had only managed to finish the written portion with only a few minutes to spare. 

It was the worst time for all the drama to unfold because she felt like all of her studying had gone out the window. To be so confident in her Defence Against the Dark Arts exam only to fumble so quickly, Elspeth silently prayed that her scores would be enough to continue on in her sixth year. If she allowed drama to get in the way of her dream, she would never forgive herself either. 

The sound of her stomach growling echoed a bit in the empty corridor, begging Elspeth to eat something. She had been skipping out on meals in the Great Hall to avoid confrontation and just when she thought she could make it until she reached home, her stomach was twisting in pain feeling the emptiness. 

She wondered if she could get away with sneaking into the kitchens and getting some food, rather than sitting in the Great Hall, surrounded by other Gryffindors. Standing up, Elspeth straightened her jumper, before making her way to the direction of the kitchens. The house-elves probably wouldn't be so fond of her being there, but she was certain that they wouldn't turn away a hungry student. Especially if they heard the way her stomach was growling in that moment. 

Luck never seemed to be on Elspeth's side during the times where she just wanted to be left alone because as soon as she rounded the corner, she ran into four faces that she didn't want to see belonging to the four people that she didn't want to talk to. Averting her gaze away, Elspeth immediately went to walk around them, but Sirius blocked her path.

"Move," she ordered in a cold tone, she wouldn't even address him by name. She wouldn't look at any of them either, she refused to fo it and if that passed her off as a stubborn arse, she was willing to accept the title. "Get out of my way!'

"El, please, listen-" Sirius' voice was soft and it sounded somewhat scratchy, maybe even hoarse. Had he been that upset that he cried or had she truly slapped him that hard that he was still feeling it? She was hoping for the latter.

"I'm not listening to anything you have to say! Nothing! You four obviously don't listen to me when I talk or anyone else, so why should I listen to what you want to say? I stand by what I said and if you don't move I'm going to make you feel worse than Severus did that day. You're all disgusting, you deserve to be friends with each other. All of you are a bunch of bullies, thinking you're above everyone and that you can do whatever you want without suffering any sort of consequences and the worst part..."

Her voice trailed off for a moment as it faltered. Elspeth was squeezing her eyes shut for a moment to keep herself from crying, she didn't want to cry in front of them, she had already done so once. She had to remain strong and put them all in their place so they could realise what they had done. 

"...the worst part is I defended all of you. I put myself out there to defend all of you and...you just spit it all right back into my face. You all don't care about me, you certainly don't love me," she snarled in Sirius' face. His eyes widened and he quickly shook his head trying to tell her that she was wrong, but instead, she walked away from him and made her way over to James.

 "This is all your fault, James Potter. You're not a git or an arrogant toerag, you're an absolute self-centred arsehole. You are a raging fucker and no girl in their right mind should ever put up with your disrespectful ways. You don't deserve to date anyone except for your fucking hand, the same one you use to pat yourself on the back with. I hope the two of you have a lovely life together because soon enough, you'll probably do something stupid that will push the rest of these boys away and you'll find yourself alone. You'll all find yourselves alone because you are nothing but mean and cruel! Not to mention cowards!"

She shouted the last part at Peter and Remus before she shoved Sirius and James out of her way.

"I won't say it again, stay away from me from this point on. I won't hesitate to hex any of you if you approach me again!"