Part I - I Miss You

A warning before you continue on to read this, it's the first official book I have tried to write, so the first few chapters are a little short and not very good, so just go with it ;)

•••

-=Steve=-

"Come back to us, Steve, we miss you!" Natasha pleaded through the phone.

"Nat, you know I need the space..." I answered, sighing.

"...I miss you." She sounded sad, but I knew that she was faking, so I decided to play along with it.

"Well... maybe I could come back for a bit..." I offered.

I glanced around my apartment, taking in the features once again. The kitchen, small, but good enough to work and cook in.

The dining area just outside of the kitchen, with a round table, four chairs surrounding it.

The lounge room I was in consisted of a large three-seater couch, an armchair, a coffee table and a television just in front of it.

I sat on the three-seaters, half-starfished, on the phone, my white gym shirt clinging tightly to my chest.

"Really?" She asked, sounding unconvinced.

"Maybe if you guys want me too." I grinned to myself. "Only for a little while though."

I heard shuffling, then whispering and then chuckling, followed by more shuffling.

"What are you doing Natasha?" I questioned.

"Oh, nothing to worry your head about Steven! So, how's Sharron? Have you asked her yet?" She quickly changed the subject.

"Oh, yeah... Sharron..." I tried to make it not obvious that I hadn't asked her out yet.

"Are you kidding me?! Wow..." She laughed through the phone, "you know that I can see right through you, right?"

I groaned and sat up, rubbing the back of my neck, my fingers grazing my hairline.

"Yeah, I know..." I grumbled, "I just, I don't think it's a good idea to date, anyone, right now... I mean, it just doesn't feel right to me... since Peggy..."

Natasha's side of the phone was silent.

"Nat?"

"Steve..." She said cautiously, as if she was stepping into a bear cave.

"What?"

"Are you... Oh, never mind. I've got to go, call later, 'Kay?"

"Yeah, sure, sure." I waved her off, even though she couldn't see me.

She hung up the phone as I pull it away from my ear, my screen saver popping up instantly.

I stood up and stretched, placing my phone on the table and slowly make my way to the kitchen.

An idea popped into my head to go and surprise the team by visiting and seeing them all. Maybe I could tell Friday to let me sneak in.

I reeled myself backwards, spinning around and heading to my bedroom.

Once I got there I stripped from my sweaty gym tee and shorts, picked out a dark blue shirt and some jeans.

(Kinda like this but without the shield logo)

I slipped my jeans on, grab my shirt and make my way back out to the kitchen.

I slowly slid my shirt over my shoulders and pulled it on to my chest, the fabric wrapping snuggly around my torso.

I walked over to the coat rack and grabbed my brown leather jacket, throwing it over my shoulder and keeping it there with my index finger.

I grabbed my wallet, phone, a hat and a pair of glasses, before heading out the door.

'I need to be quick, Nat sounded like she was in a hurry to do something, so she might be heading out on a mission.' I thought to myself as I jog down the stairs.

I placed my glasses, as well as my cap, on when I walked through the front entrance.

I didn't want to gather any unwanted attention, press or anything.

The sun felt warm and welcoming as it enfolded me, wrapping around my body trying to grab at any pieces of darkness I pulled from the shadows.

I stood there on the footpath, eyes closed, soaking in the rays and letting them wash over me.

"Hey, um, excuse me? You're standing in the middle of the pathway." A Russian voice came from behind me, strangely familiar.

"Pietro?" I opened my eyes and turn around to be met by confused stormy blue ones.

"Steve? Wha-what are you doing this side of town?" He asked, pulling me into an unexpected hug.

"I was about to ask you the same thing..." I said, pulling away from him and holding his shoulders, studying his face.

He frowned slightly, "Well, Tony said Wanda and I need more training before we go and do any 'serious missions'. Vision is at the facility with Wanda, so I decided to take a jog." He smirked.

"I could offer limited time to help with your problem." I chuckled.

***

792