Chapter 15

Hey,

Well, there was a lot of speculating going on about the identity of the mysterious "he" in the last chapter. And in theory, you were probably all right. It could have been Andy, Alexander, Marrok or a number of other people that might have come to Anna's help. You'll find out who it is in this one! I hope you like it :-)

Thanks for reading, and have a great week!

Lara

______________________________________________________

Chapter 15

The scent of fate and impending bloodshed hung in the air, looming over us like a big, ominous cloud – as if New York was thrown back into time, facing a battle of ancient old beings that vied for power.

Why was Alexander here? Why now? Had he somehow followed me?

Since he was completely dressed in black, he seemingly melted from the shadows, seemed to morph out of space I couldn't see to manifest and become real. He was standing on the other side of the street, watching us with the unforgiving stare of a ruler in full control.

The set of his face carried the familiar scent that smacked of plastic blandness and regal coldness. This was the look he'd had on his face when we first met. Even without sensing it, I knew how his aura would look like in second sight; remembered the terrifying dance of the power of the grave he carried around like a permanent shadow.

A whiff of dust and rottenness tickled my nose, hinting at the scent of burned flesh and blood. I sucked in a breath as Vladislav's presence spread and widened.

Vladislav clapped his hands in mock applause. Thrice.

"I almost believe you would not dare to show yourself, Adorján. There is no need to hide. I do know that you did not come alone."

Alexander's mouth twisted into a smile that didn't reach his eyes. The street exploded with motion as vampires appeared beside the head vampire like whiffs of smoke solidifying. A blur of auburn and black stilled on his right.

Zack.

Alexander's second in command had lost the human touch he usually carried around like a calling card. This night he looked positively vicious and definitely not human. Heavy muscles moved and bulged under his black shirt as he folded his arms in front of him, his green eyes scanning the street.

Another blur to Alexander's left. White shimmered then stilled, manifesting. Victor Crawford hadn't bothered to dress up for the occasion. The white designer suit he was wearing fit him like a second skin and he wore it well, just like the expression of light amusement and amicability.

Something told me it was a mask Victor didn't want to part with, just yet. Perhaps never.

More shadows blurred into existence. All in all there were about thirty vampires gathered behind Alexander. I was familiar enough with the ranks within Alexander's territory to know these were his most trusted vamps.

"What exactly do you believe your show of defiance will achieve?" Vladislav said.

Alexander stepped forward, blue eyes poised on his maker.

"You illegally entered my territory and tampered with politics in this city. Which is why I have invited impartial referees to our city."

"We both know that you would not dare to invite them and you could not, even if you wanted, Adorján. No one pays heed to a dog like you, boy," Vladislav said.