February 1970. Okigwe

The war has just ended. According to them, we surrendered. We know we didn't. I can still see the surprise on their faces. A "ragtag" army held the almighty Federal Army for thirty unshakable months. One Captain Ahmed was overheard saying that they never expected this sort of resistance.

Well, the carnage has ended. We lost. They won. And we were their captives. We are held in an old secondary school complex. I believe it must have been used by one of the numerous aid agencies which operated during the war. Some of the classrooms have no roofs but we are held in ones having locks and all. About fifteen of us occupied what amounted to our cell, an equivalent of a standard classroom. We are all dirty. Wearing tore and dirty army fatigues.

We are not given much per day. At least, since I surrendered at Uzuakoli and been brought here, along with more than fifty others. Every day, a few of us are always taken to fetch water but none have returned ever. Fear oozes around us but we still believe they are being released.

"Nna, are you with us?" a bulky voice draws me back from my daydream. I turned and faced my cellmate.

Major Chinedu, a lanky infantry officer who fought in the Umuahia Sector, looked at me with his red eyes. Now I understand why he was feared by enemies and friends alike. Tales of him eating enemy combatants have kept the airways busy for a while. Though, we know that it remains a lie, we let the tales continue, even aided it a times. Every weapon was needed to win this war. We hadn't much with us.

I took a deep breath and shifted closer to him and said, "Ihe nke agwulam ike. I'm so tired of this situation". He nodded in agreement.

"Is it only me that notices that none of our mates who went to fetch water ever returns?", I continued, looking around searchingly. I can see interest popping up on all their faces. I had to speak in the lowest audible voice to prevent our guards from hearing us.

"I noticed it too but thought they have been released on the way," a somewhat feminine voice replied from my immediate left. Captain Nweke, who we call Mgbeke because of his feminine appearance. He will be said to be beautiful. A long nose placed on a nicely shaped square face, with a set of dimples added as jara.

I just glared at him. What is this one's brain made up of sef? Relief rice? I asked in my mind.

"Well, it shouldn't bother you. I know they are okay," he continued, shrugging.

"Mgbeke, mechie onu gi! Shut up there!"

I turned to see the owner of the voice and stared down at a comical face, scares everywhere.

Major Ifeanyi is always a fearful face to behold. The almost five-foot-tall fierce soldier form Onitsha division, was almost executed with Major Ifeajunna by Gen Ojukwu but was saved by his Brigade Commander. I can't very much remember his name now.

Captain Nweke merely stared at him and sat back and continued his usual habit of chewing his upper lip. He always seems to think with his belly at times. I never intended this to turn into a free-for-all fight so I just shut up and just watched as the argument continued.

"How can you keep thinking like a woman? Are you even sure you are a soldier?", Major Ifeanyi continued, seemly provoked by Captain Nweke's comments. We are in the same situation and we should be worried about ourselves. There's the only thing we own families, the ones that survived, that is.

Captain Nweke just ignored him and kept staring at him. The remaining members of our cell seemed not to be interested in the agreement, so they just stayed off. They seem not just to be here, only their body were present. These were men, who months ago, commanded units, killed men and protected communities from an invading army. Men that fought with nothing but won battles, if not the war.

Suddenly, our cell door was unlocked. An angry looking soldier entered, with his riffle hanging snuggly on his shoulder. Looking at him, he won't be a day over twenty. A very young man. Well, that's beside the point. He walked in, looked at us all and pointed at Captain Nweke and a few others, about five more. They just stood up and followed him out. The door was looked again.

Now, this was no longer a play. I can now see the fear crawling up everyone's face. This wasn't what we were told. We were told by our commanding officers that we should lay down the arms and we will be given freedom by the Federal Government. Some of us were ready to take the war to a guerrilla stage and fight to the last man, woman or child but an order is an order. We had to obey.

I won't die this way, I kept saying to myself. I must see my wife, Uju. I couldn't stop thinking about her. We married before the war began. She was three months pregnant when I enlisted for the officer corps. I was posted to defend Nsukka but before I could get there, it had fallen to the Federal army. I hadn't seen her in months. Her and our baby daughter. I can't even guess her age.

Usually, in the evenings, we were allowed some free time outside our cells but with heavy security. No escape has been successful in this hellhole since I came here. I just found a shade under a tree and sat down. I must leave this place before I will be chosen to fetch water. I must see my daughter.

I saw one of our guards. He is one of the few that I have seen smile. They never laughed. Always acting like they were guarding traitors. Well, that's their concern.

I slowly got up and took a few strides to him and said in his language, "What is going on?"

He turned and stared at me like I spoke a taboo. I would say Karma knows everyone's address. His tribal marks are so much. Something about his face got my attention. I had seen this face somewhere but where? Questions keep running across my mind

"You can speak Hausa?" he asked, still puzzled. I knew I had got him.

"Yes, sir."

"You shouldn't be here", he said, looking around and coming closer to me. He seems to have recognize me. But why? Why the sudden help

"Listen carefully. There's a bucket behind that tree. The one by your right. Take it and go. When you get to the gate and they ask you who sent you, tell them Major Musa sent you. You will pass three gates. When you do, run for your life. It isn't safe here," he said a matter-of-factly to me.

I needed not a second notice. I took the bucket and did I was told. He must have been an important person because gates were swinging open with his name been mentioned. I dutifully went passed the third gate, took a last look back and walked briskly away.

As I walked away, I kept trying to remember where and when I had met my savior. I must have met him somewhere.

Then, I stopped. It is now so clear. He was that soldier I let go months ago. Karma is a bitch! Well, I should get to safety first, maybe after I see my family then I can have time to reminisce on this, I reminded myself as I kept going.

I did as I was told.