Stacy Donald

(These are basically like the introduction of the story)

Stacy P.O.V

"Mari, honey, hurry up. I can't take you to school today. So, you have to ride the bus." I yell from the kitchen.

Jamari comes down the stairs with everything with her.

"You never take me to school anyways. No big difference." She goes to the living room and sits down on the couch.

"What are you doing?" I ask, with my hand on my hip.

"I'm not going school today."

I scoff. The hell?

"Yes, you are. You're not staying here."

"Man!" She says, getting up.

"Yeah, come on and walk." I motion her towards the door.

"So, let me guess...you're going to be busy later...So, I have to take the bus in the afternoon or catch a ride with a friend's mom." She says, being smart.

"You have a smart mouth for an 11 year old, you know that?" She nods. "You can go to a friend house today if you want."

"Whatever. I'm just going to stay after school." She says, rolling her eyes.

"No, you're not." I pause and think. "Matter of fact, your father is picking you up after school. So, when he gets there call or text me to let me know if you're safe."

"Dad?!? Yes, thank you. I can finally get out of this house." She says, walking to the door.

"Excuse me?"

"Nothing."

"I thought so." I say to her. "And don't let any of them teachers call me again, alright?" She looks at me then away. "Alright!?!" I get louder.

"Yeah, whatever."

"Go to school and learn something." I say as she walks out of the door to the bus. "I love you, Mari."

"Yeah, I love you too."

I watch her get on the bus and then I shut my door. I grab my gym bag and head back up to the door. When I open the door José, Jamari's father, was getting out of the car.

"Why are you here so early?" I ask.

"Because I can. Is that a problem?" He says, walking to to the door.

"Yes, it is a problem."

"Well, it shouldn't be." He says, looking in my house from the outside.

I step out of the doorway and shut it close then lock it.

"What do you want?" I ask.

"There ain't no man here, right?" He asks.

I roll my eyes. "No, and what if there is?"

"You're the same ol' Stacy." He smirks.

"And you're the same old José. Now what the hell do you want?"

"I want my daughter." He says. "Where is she?"

"Where she's supposed to be during the day until 3 o'clock." I look at his BMW then back at his confused face. "School. A place where you'd be unfamiliar about."

"Yeah, I see how it is."

"You see clearly, huh?" I push pass him.

"Well, I'm picking her up early." I turn to him.