When I Got Even

Ciel's POV:

I fell face-first onto my bed exhausted from detention. I managed to finish my quiz but then Prof. Randall gave me a literal mountain of homework which had to be done, by the end of detention. I'll never know how I was able to finish it all in time. I groaned in pure emotional agony at how rotten my life seemed to be, the only upside was that I didn't have to worry about doing any homework tonight. I sighed to myself as I stared at the photo on my night stand. It was of myself as a child and my parents. I really wish they were here right now.

They may have died when I was younger but the pain of not having them here still lingers. As I look at the elegantly framed picture of my blonde blue-eyed mother and blunette father standing side by side holding a five year old me, I wonder to myself 'what would they think of me now?' I then rolled onto my back keeping the pillow over my face to hide my despondency from the world.

Whilst I was still griping over my exceptionally dismal day I heard a knock at my bedroom door. It couldn't have been anyone but my Aunt Angelina. "Whaaat!" I called out from my pillow which muffled my voice. The door opened, "Ciel, are you alright dear?" asked my worried aunt. I continued talking from my pillow. "I'm wonderful!" I retorted sarcastically. I wasn't in any mood to be babied.

I love my Aunt Anne and I know she's been trying her best to take care of me since my parents passed but I just wanted my space at the time. "I made some tea for you, it's earl grey your favorite." she said trying to sound cheerful. I heavily contemplated on accepting the offer but the gloominess trumped my interest. In the end I just wasn't up for it.

I turned my head from my pillow to answer, "No thanks Aunt Anne, I'm not exactly in a tea mood." I'm sure disappointment marred her lovely pale face beyond my periphery. I could feel that worry was evident in her bright red eyes and on her mouth, which lacked her usual red lipstick, was frowning sadly.

She walked over and placed the saucer and cup onto my nightstand. "I heard about your detention. I take it that it wasn't well?" she questioned. I just groaned in response.

"It's not the end of the world Ciel, tomorrow might be better." she said. I scoffed in despair. "I admire your optimism Aunt Anne but I highly doubt it." I said. with my luck tomorrow might be worse. "Well it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic every once in a while..." she then got playful and started smooshing my face into a pout while I just continued frowning, "...And don't frown so much dear you'll give yourself wrinkles that way." she said. She tends to temporarily change the subject when trying to cheer me up.

I merely waited for her to let go before I rubbed my throbbing face as I frowned unaffected by my aunt's usual weirdness. "Look don't dwell on it too much You can't let the course one bad day or even several others define how you think tomorrow will be, it all depends on what you decide to make of it." She said with a stern gentleness of a mother, like my mother [makes sense, they were sisters after all]. "Besides high school isn't forever, just stick it out until it's over and don't allow yourself the bother of letting every problem get to you. Alright?" She finished. I gave a nod comprehending the advice I was given. I wanted to follow my aunt's words but it was hard to just decide to have a good day when the odds of it are immensely stacked against you.

I thought about it hard letting it sink in further as it began to make more and more sense. Perhaps I was just making a huge fuss over one bad experience and blowing it all out of proportion. At my age it was bound to happen. My aunt Ann was right but I still couldn't help but sulk a little more before letting out a sigh. "Alright." I mummbled. Satisfied with my answer Aunt Ann retrieved my tea from the nightstand and held it out to me again as I sat upright on the edge of my bed. The contents of the cup was still steaming meaning it was still hot. The aroma was very pleasant and beckoning me greatly, I couldn't say "no" now especially since my spirits were slightly lifted. I took the cup from the saucer by the handle carefully and gave it a blow to cool it off some. I hummed at the sweet taste as I took my sip, Earl grey was my favorite for a reason. It always hit the spot when I needed it the most.