Chapter Twenty-Seven

Começar do início

I'm nervous but I don't want to admit that. I've danced naked on stage in front of hundreds of men. I was a hooker for nearly four years but I'm nervous of my own mother. How is that even possible? Actually, if anyone who's ever crossed my mom would understand completely.

As we get to the top of the porch steps, Chris puts his arm round my waist and pulls me toward him so my back is flush against his front.

He whispers in my ear, "Relax. It'll be fine. I'll charm your mom, trust me."

I let out a brief chuckle and whisper back, "Good luck with that."

As we enter the house, my dad calls out, "Elizabeth? I asked Lexi and her friend to join us for lunch. That's not a problem, is it? There's enough food, right?"

That's a stupid question. My mom always makes extra food just in case there are visitors.

I can't tell what her feelings on the matter are by her voice when she speaks.

"There's enough food. Who's the friend?"

I decide that I need to be the one to introduce Chris or it'll just give her more ammunition to use against me.

"Mom, this is Christopher DeMarco. He's my friend from New York. Chris, this is my mom, Elizabeth."

He shakes my mom's hand and smiles brightly, "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Voight. How are you doing?"

"I'm good, thank you. Someone with manners, Alexis. I am surprized. Have you enjoyed your time in Tennessee so far, Christopher?"

"Yes ma'am. We toured a bit of Nashville yesterday. Some of the food is amazing."

"Well, we southerners have great food if nothing else. Shall we sit for lunch?"

As we dish and eat food, I don't feel that hungry. My mom is firing questions and conversation at Chris, but she barely acknowledges me. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing to be honest. Caleb, Nate and my dad join in with the conversation but I try to stay out of it as much as possible. As long as my mom isn't ragging on me, then I'd rather not bring attention to myself.

Eventually my mom asks, "How did you two meet? Were you at school together?"

I try to get a silent message to Chris but before I can do this or answer the question myself, he speaks.

"We worked together. I'm not much of an academic person."

"Worked together? As in at the bar?"

"Yes ma'am."

"I see."

She sends me a look that is pretty cutting. I'm not sure if anyone else notices it but it doesn't really matter to be honest. She clearly hasn't got over the fact that I worked at a bar and she doesn't look very happy with me right now.

"So, Christopher, are your family originally from New York?"

"Well, I was born and raised in Brooklyn, but my parents are originally from Italy. They moved to New York shortly after they were married."

"Do you have any siblings?"

"An older sister, an older brother and a younger brother, ma'am."

"And they all live in New York?"

"Yes ma'am."

My mom throws a dig at me by commenting, "I have to say, I am impressed at your manners. All the yankees that I've met have had no manners at all. Your momma must have raised you right."

"I'd like to think so. She's a good women. You raised a lovely daughter yourself, Mrs Voight."

I snap my gaze to Chris. He needs to abort right now. He probably thinks he's helping, but this is only going to make the situation worse.