Nightmares in the Night (A Books of Elsewhere fanfiction)

Olive Dunwoody sat upright with a jolt. She could feel her heart beat pounding heavily in her ears as she gulped in deep breaths. Her light hazel eyes slowly focused on the dark surroundings. The late November breeze blew a tree branch against the window, making almost audible knocking noises. It was the only other sound than the quiet whirring of the space heater planted in the corner of her room.

The twelve year old girl took in a deep breath and suddenly the fresh, clear visions of her nightmare flooded her mind. It had been the third nightmare this week, ever since Annabelle McMartin had been vanquished for good just the week before. Olive had been having vivid dreams about Annabelle coming back, only this time, more powerful and stronger. She felt her heart accelerate as the memories from the horrible dream flooded her mind. Olive yearned for the comfort of her parents, but then remembered they were both on business trips and wouldn't be back until the next day.

Feeling her body become limp as a wet noodle, Olive curled up in a tight ball, bringing her knees to her chest. She hugged her teddy bear, Hershel, in her arms tightly. She could already feel the hot tears leak out of her eyes as she let out a quiet sob.

"Olive?"

The girl sat up at the call of her name. Olive blinked and saw a familiar orange and black cat in her doorway. If not mistaken, she could've sworn she saw a glint of worry in his eyes.

"H-Horatio?" Olive gently breathed out.

"Olive, I heard you from down the hall and," He cut himself off when he saw Olive's damp cheeks. Horatio skillfully leaped onto the bed. "Why Olive, are you crying?"

She reached up and felt her wet cheek. Feeling silly and embarrassed, Olive mumbled nervously as she rubbed her cheek with her sleeve. "It's nothing Horatio. I just," She paused as Horatio moved next to her. "I just..."

"I'm listening, Olive," Horatio coolly stated.

"I just had a bad dream," Olive answered. She hugged her arms around her chest. The fresh nightmare still clung to her mind. She clenched her teeth. Go away, she scolded to her brain.

"Oh?" The cat said. "And it frightened you to crying?"

"Yes," Olive sniffed and nodded. A single tear slid down her cheek and onto her lap; another one followed.

Horatio sat in silence, unsure how to handle this. He could save Olive from drowning in a painted lake, escape the Shadows, put up with serving the wicked McMartins for centuries, literally, vanquishing Annabelle McMartin, melting the painted version of Aldous McMartin, and yet he couldn't figure out how to help a frightened Olive. Horatio was never the one to comfort, let alone even know how to.

The first thing was to ask what Olive had dreamed about. That's it.

"Olive, what was this dream about?" Horatio questioned. He suddenly regretted asking when Olive's eyes widened and she let out a barely audible whimper. "Oh dear, Olive, I apologize. I didn't mean to make you-"

"Annabelle,"

Horatio's vibrant green eyes darted towards Olive. "What did you say?"

"Annabelle. I dreamed about Annabelle," Olive's voice was straining as more tears dripped down her face. "She came back Horatio, but she was stronger. She... she burst through the front door, and she... she killed Mom and Dad," Olive was talking quickly and breathed heavily to near hyperventilating. "And then she... she killed you Horatio! And Leopold and Harvey too! Right in front of me! I couldn't do anything because I couldn't move. She killed you Horatio! She... she..."

"Shhh, Olive calm down," Horatio soothed. He rubbed his furry head against Olive's shoulder. "There, there, Olive. Take a deep breath; that's it." Olive let herself sink into the bed as she calmly breathed in and out.

"Olive, look at me," said Horatio. "Annabelle isn't coming back. I can assure you that she is gone for good, along with her dreaded family. Even if she were to find a way back, though it would be impossible, we would be ready." Olive sniffed and nodded. "We're here for you, Olive. All of us. Me, Leopold, Harvey, your parents, Morton, and Rutherford. You're not alone, Olive."

"T-thank you, Horatio," Olive let herself smile. She let out a yawn and rubbed her suddenly droopy eyes.

"Well now, I'm sure you're very tired now, miss," Horatio prepared to jump off of the bed. "If you need me, I'll be-"

"Wait, Horatio," Olive interrupted before she could stop herself.

"Yes?"

"Could... could you stay with me, please?" Olive whispered. "In case I have another bad dream?"

"Olive," The cat sighed heavily. There was a sliver of annoyance in that sigh. "You know very well I have a duty to patrol the house,"

"Just until I fall asleep, and then you can go," Olive begged. "Please?"

Horatio huffed and shook his head slightly. "Oh all right, fine, but just this one time, alright?"

Olive nodded. "I'll go to sleep fast, I promise."

"Good," Horatio planted himself near Olive's arm, circled a few times, and then curled into a ball. Olive lay back down and held Hershel close. Her fingers swirled around Horatio's soft fur and Olive felt him stiffen at the unfamiliar touch but gave in anyways.

"Goodnight Horatio." Olive mumbled sleepily.

"Goodnight Olive,"

"I love you."

Horatio sat up. Did Olive just say that? No one had ever told him that they loved him. Never. Before he could ask, Olive had already fallen asleep with a tiny smile on her face. Horatio felt one creeping onto his. Oh, just this once, he decided.

"I love you too, Olive." He lay his head down and closed his eyes. He was sure she wouldn't have nightmares for a long time.