Second Chances

Part 4 of Lover

Harry watches the wall clock as he waits patiently on his couch, counting the minutes until Y/n finally wakes up.

He's barely slept all night, feeling a mix of anxiousness and misery as he thought of all the outcomes that could happen today. He also found himself looking at Y/n all night, watching her in her calmest state of mind and feeling a sense of tranquility as he sees her in her most beautiful form.

He could never get tired of it—admiring her in her sleep. But as the morning passed and the late afternoon started approaching, Harry didn't know what the hell was going on.

She was still asleep, crashed on top of him as snores raided her mouth and the only movement being the slight rise and fall of her chest against his. He started to worry, solely for the fact that she slept at a completely reasonable time last night and was known to be an early riser. And since he barely got a blink of sleep, he knows she didn't wake up for a second during the night.

At first, when it hit 12 hours since she'd fallen asleep, he tried to brush hair out of her face in an attempt to wake her from her slumber. Nothing came to his avail, however, when all he got was a slight shake of her head and a small smacking of her lips.

When the afternoon started to approach, he started to move his fingertips along her back and neck. But again, nothing; just a slight groan and a movement of her hips to get away from the sensation.

He gave up after that, helpless in disturbing her sleep and trying to get some sort of reassurance in the midst of his worrying. He really needed something, because his nerves were getting the best of him and he needed to rid the anxiety building inside of him.

That's when he decided to call Gabby.

"She fell asleep at around 10:00 last night and it's nearly 2:00 now. She's barely moved, she's still right on top of me and doesn't even flinch when I turn. I'm really worried."

Harry lifts his hand to her hair, softly brushing the knots out with his fingers, waiting to see if there's any sudden movement. But there's nothing, just the movements of her soft breath and the occasional repositioning of her neck.

"She's barely slept in months, Harry. She's not fully comfortable here, no matter how much she tries to tell me she is. There are nights she doesn't sleep at all. She's completely incapable of being alone anymore, she's always thinking and it doesn't let her calm down in the slightest, you know? And mixed with everything that happened last night, she's probably extremely exhausted. Just let her get her sleep, yeah? She really needs it, trust me. Besides, you being there is helping her in the most."

He looks down at Y/n, where her cheek is pressed against his chest as her eyes are closed in a dream. She looks most beautiful this way. It's the peaceful, angelic side of her that he always remember her being.

She looks safe, too—away from any potential hurting and pressed so close against him as if he were the protector of her heart. He almost laughs at the irony of it all, how she's the exact opposite of peaceful and nowhere near protected from any harm—especially in his arms.

And there's a part of him that wishes he could stay in this moment forever, holding her to him as he watches her in her must vulnerable state. She doesn't push him away, or tell him to stop staring at her, or cry because he still can't figure out what to say. She's oblivious to his admiration, and the second she regains consciousness in her reality, he knows this moment can't last much longer, no matter how badly he wants it to.

"Yeah, of course I'll let her sleep. You think I can move from underneath her without waking her? Might make her some food, can feel her stomach growl."