Chapter 15 - The Rift

ابدأ من البداية

About five minutes later, she wrapped the toast up in a napkin and headed off in the direction of the Gryffindor common room. Just as she reached the Fat Lady, the portrait opened and Harry climbed out. He looked exhausted, and sympathy flooded through Hermione. Harry jumped at the sight of her
"Hello" she said feigning brightness "I brought you this..." she held up the toast "Want to go for a walk?"
"Good idea" said Harry, apparently glad of something to do

They headed out into the ground and walked around the lake, as Harry told Hermione everything that had happened after he had left the Great Hall. Apparently, Mr Crouch was forcing him to play, which Hermione found frankly ridiculous. Moody had theorised that whoever had put Harry's name in the Goblet wanted Harry dead. Harry seemed to find this amusing, but Hermione could see his point
"Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself" she said as he'd finished by telling her the date of the first task - the 24th of November "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry... I don't think any student could have done it... they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's-"

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry cut in
"Erm... yes... he was at breakfast" she said slowly
"Does he still think I entered myself?" asked Harry
"Well... no, I don't think so... not really" Hermione muttered
"What's that supposed to mean, 'not really'?"
"Oh Harry, isn't it obvious?" Hermione exclaimed "He's jealous!"
"Jealous?" says Harry blankly "Jealous of what? He wants to make a prat of himself in front of the whole school, does he?"
"Look" said Hermione "it's always you who gets all the attention, you know it is. I know it's not your fault, I know you don't ask for it... but - well - you know, Ron's got all those brothers to compete against at home, and you're his best friend, and you're really famous - he's always shunted to one side whenever people see you, and he puts up with it, and he never mentions it, but I suppose this is just one time too many..."

"Great" said Harry darkly "Really great. Tell him from me I'll swap any time he wants. Tell him from me he's welcome to it... People gawping at my forehead everywhere I go..."
"I'm not telling him anything," Hermione said. She didn't have any intention of passing on Ron's message either "Tell him yourself. It's the only way to sort this out"
"I'm not running around after him trying to make him grow up!" Harry said angrily "Maybe he'll believe I'm not enjoying myself once I've got my neck broken or-"

"That's not funny" said Hermione "That's not funny at all. Harry, I've been thinking - you know what we've got to do, don't you? Straight away, the moment we get back to the castle?"
"Yeah, give Ron a good kick up the-" Harry started
"Write to Sirius. You've got to tell him what's happened. He asked you to keep him posted on everything that's going on at Hogwarts... It's almost as if he expected something like this to happen. I brought some parchment and a quill out with me-"
"Come off it" said Harry, checking for eavesdroppers "He came back to the country just because my scar twinged. He'll probably come bursting right into the castle if I tell him someone's entered me in the Triwizard Tournament-"
"He'd want you to tell him" said Hermione "He's going to find out anyway-"
"How?" said Harry, who didn't seem to know the function of newspapers

"Harry, this isn't going to be kept quiet" said Hermione "This tournament's famous, and you're famous. I'll be really surprised if there isn't anything in the Daily Prophet about you competing... You're already in half the books about You- Know-Who, you know... and Sirius would rather hear it from you, I know he would"
"Okay, okay, I'll write to him" Harry sighed, throwing his last piece of toast into the lake

"Whose owl am I going to use?" Harry said when they reached the front door "He told me not to use Hedwig again."
"Ask Ron if you can borrow-"
"I'm not asking Ron for anything" Harry said
"Well, borrow one of the school owls, then, anyone can use them" said Hermione, rolling her eyes. She could tell this was going to be a long few weeks