Author's Notes

1st Place - The Historical Fiction Award 2019

The Wattys 2018 Shortlist

Wattpad Featured Story - March 2018

During World War I, a black baseball player gets a second chance to play baseball on an all-white steel mill baseball team, an action that shocks and divides an entire town.

Targeted by opponents, his own team, and mysterious vigilantes, Henry Louis finds himself facing levels of anger and racism that threaten both his baseball career and his life.

When Henry meets Sarah, a free-spirited girl with the dream of becoming a writer, things get even more complicated as they fall in love.

Sarah ignites Henry's heart to keep fighting for his right play the game he loves. But by refusing to back down, Henry will pay the greatest price.

And in his suffering, Henry Louis will unite a town torn apart by prejudice and war ... not because of the color of his skin but because of the color of his dreams.

Thank You for reading and thanks for your support. You guys are truly awesome! Questions and feedback are always welcome.

Update Status: After a year of weekly updates, Color is now complete on Wattpad! Right now, I'm working through a big list of edits for an August 2021 book launch. During this revision phase, I do plan to update this version on Wattpad, mainly to zap those pesky grammar bugs and knock out a few continuity flubs. If you leave a comment or feedback, I'll do my best to respond.

Warning: This story contains scenes of discrimination, bullying and violence mingled with themes of drama, love, hope, baseball and war.

Please Note: A full second draft of Color (the Wattpad version) is registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. Please read responsibly.

Color takes place in 1918 in the fictional town of Hester, Pennsylvania at a time when America had already entered the Great War (World War I) as blacks and whites waged a different kind of war here at home.

Cover: The characters and background were beautifully drawn and colored by the talented Polina Ipatova.

Cast of Characters (in order of appearance):

Henry Louis – Black baseball player and protagonist of the story

Frank Bell – General Manager of Union Steel's all-white baseball team

Richard Bell – Owner of Union Steel and Frank's father

Peter Bell – Frank's son / Richard's grandson

Coach Avery Brown – Ten-year coach of the Rooks Negro baseball team of Hester, Pennsylvania

Jake Westin - Pitcher for the Union Steel Pioneers

Rusty Ryan - Catcher for the Union Steel Pioneers

Big Willy - Henry's best friend since childhood

Sarah Stewart - Henry's love interest and Albert's niece

Albert Stewart - Sarah's uncle and only living next of kin

Edward Benedict - Owner of the Diamond Club and Benedict's Variety Stores; former owner of the Rooks baseball team

Clayton Fisk - Union Steel foremen and ex-army soldier

Hans and Karl Schiller - Brothers, pit workers at Union Steel

Eddie Bracken - Ex-army soldier who fought alongside Clayton

Coach Elliot Taylor - Coach of the Union Steel Pioneers baseball team

Dale Ritter - Pitcher for the Union Steel Pioneers  

AWARDS AND HONORS

Proud supporter of #BlackLivesMatter