“It’s a very risky venture, Miss Rose.”

“Oh, I understand, but what can I do? I don’t have any other options; this is my last resort, my last hope. He’ll be here tomorrow night, I guarantee that. Thank you, Mrs. Brags, I have to go now,” I grabbed her hand and wrung it in gratitude, then hurried out to where Rainstorm was waiting for me. I had one more errand that I needed to get done before going home. Mrs. Brags followed me and watched me as I rode away. I don’t know what she was thinking, but I’m more than sure she was completely taken back by the whole visit and not sure what to make of it.

***

I hardly ever went to town. I was shy of any company, always afraid of being discovered, always afraid that one wrong word, one wrong action would cause me to give away the secret. I had been like this right from the very start. Mother had taught me to hide from people and not allow them to ask me questions. Even when I worked as a flower girl, I would never talk to anyone and never ask anything, nor give any answers. The ten years I had spent living with my uncle and aunt, had been years at the estate and sometimes visiting the Greyhound Plantation. I rarely went anywhere, even balls and parties where something I didn’t attend very often. I led a secluded life and didn’t mind. My world consisted of my room and my garden. I had plenty to keep my occupied, reading, music, art, gardening and needlework. I had never even once visited my uncle’s cotton fields. The house and the garden and once in a while a visit to the Greyhound Estate or to some other friends, that was my world and my life; which is why I was so nervous when I rode into town. The fact that I was completely alone only added to the nervousness. Still, I pressed bravely on till I got to the brokers shop. Entering the low door I crinkled my nose from all the musty smells. Sitting behind a counter sat the pawnbroker.

“Anything I can do for you, Miss?” He asked as I came in.

“I certainly hope so,” I pulled out of my bag a necklace, a bracelet and two pairs of earrings, placing them on the counter. He took them, studied them for a long time, and then asked.

“Pawn, or sell outright?”

I thought for a moment, “sell outright,” I stated at last.

He named his price, I agreed, he took the jewels, I took the money and quickly got out of there. I had to hurry or I would be late for dinner. I was just about to mount Rainstorm when a commotion stopped me.

It was between a large man and a little black girl. He was holding her and she was trying desperately to get free. All of a sudden, he hit the girl roughly against the face. The same action was repeated over and over again and the girl was in tears. I saw him bust her lip and blood come out of her nose. That was when I had enough. I flew up to him.

“Stop that sir, such behavior is inhuman.”

“Git away, lady,” He growled at me, his breath thick with the smell of cheep liquor that made me wince.

“Not until you let the child go. Stop hitting her,” I reached out to pull his hand away from her. He roughly shoved me aside.

“I said git away from me,” He barked.

“Leave the child alone.”

“It’s none of your business what I do with the creature. She stole a penny from me and now she will pay for it.”

“Stop beating her sir, I don’t care what she did, it is no reason for you to beat her like that. Look, her face is all in blood,” I felt the heat rise to my face as my anger towards the man curdled.

“Listen, lady,” He turned his large frame to me, his eyes red and puffy from the alcohol that had intoxicated him. “This is none of your business and if you won’t…”