Chapter 2: Coming of Age

“Ah! Close the curtains!” I yelled as a piercing light woke me up from my peaceful sleep.

“Ivy Idris, you were supposed to be up an hour ago! Get out of bed now! Your ladies will be up in a few moments to clean you up. Today is your eighteenth birthday ya know.” Tynara, the old nurse who had been there for me forever even since birth, told me in a stern, condescending voice. 

“Alright, I am getting out of bed…” I paused for a moment and threw my comforter off of me. “Now.” I finished just as I rolled out of bed, grumbling. The mirror was on the other side of the room and I did not feel like walking over there. 

“Tynara.” I looked at her with hopelessness written all over my face.

“Yes, dear?” She looked back at me with a quirked eyebrow as if to say this should be good.

“I have come to the realization that I am the laziest person on Academy grounds.” I huffed and dragged my feet as I made my way towards the mirror. Finally, I got there and lifted my eyes to see the most revolting thing. Ever. My jaw dropped to the floor at the sight. The gorgeous brown hair for which I was known was sticking in every which way. It looked as if I had been attacked in my sleep.

“Whoa.” That was all I could say. Tynara looked over at me and began cracking up at not only my reaction but also how I looked, so I glared at her. Thank goodness I had people coming to making me look good.

Today was my eighteenth birthday; the long awaited day when I would be deemed able to join the Academy. I had been waiting for this day ever since I had been told about it. Becoming an assassin was the highest honor any one person could receive, besides becoming an elite, but that wasn’t too common. Being an assassin was all I ever dreamed of when I was younger, all I ever pretended to be, and it was the only thing I could be. Since I came from the royal Idris family I was not only expected to become an assassin, but also required. 

The ladies who were supposed to make me look beautiful walked in the room. I was already sitting on the stool in front of the mirror, ready to get started. They began working on me, brushing my hair, washing my face, and applying that pasty stuff to my face called make-up. Once they had finished making me look pretty, I had to get dressed in my stealth armor.

My stealth armor was the armor that I would wear for every mission I went on and for every special occasion involving the academy.  It was gorgeous armor that was made especially for me and it fit my body like a glove. Stealth armor is made to be light as a feather, noiseless, and flexible. Mine was all that and more. The details on it were extraordinary! The sleek armor was black, the detailing was all black, but my family crest was a deep, blood red. On the armor, the crest was always placed over the assassin’s heart so as to remind them where their allegiance lies.  If all else fails while out on a mission, your very last resort is to do what honors your family or wherever your allegiance lies.

As I stood there in front of the three-way mirror, the ladies put my armor on me and polished it, making sure it was perfect. Today, at the ceremony, would be the first time anybody, other than my father and me, laid eyes on it. I couldn’t wait to show off the beautiful piece of artwork that had been gifted to me. The ladies finished and stepped back form me, but I didn’t notice. For a few minutes, I just stood there, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I looked like a warrior and it was amazing. My body was on fire; I was ecstatic about the next few hours to come. 

Somebody coughed and I snapped out of my trance. Whirling around, I came to face my father. When had he entered the room? I gave a subtle shrug and stepped of the dais that was surrounded by the three-way mirror.

“Hello father.” I smiled up at him, but he was already smiling at me.

“Hello Ivy. Your armor looks exquisite! What a fine job that man did. I shall have to take him a gift to show him my appreciation.” My father then circled around me, checking up and down to make sure everything was in place for the ceremony.