2

Todoroki woke up from excruciating pain.

His arms and legs were sore, red clouded his vision, and each heartbeat felt like a struggle through the hollow ache in his chest. Bandages covered his eyes and his head felt like it was on fire. His insides felt like they had been torn open and stitched together by a maniac.

Despite all this, he did not move. Or rather, he could not move.

"-a few restraints were put in place to restrain him from moving and injuring himself further" Todoroki heard Medical Girl saying, but it was strangely muffled and left a particular ringing in his ears that gave him a headache. Who was she even talking to?

Something warm was pressed against Todoroki's hand. Then, a whisper, as soft as snow;

Todoroki~kun?

Tears threatened to wet the bandages across his face as Todoroki recognized the voice as none other than Midoriya's. From the way Midoriya was breathing, Todoroki could tell that he had been crying, too. Thankfully, Todoroki was lying flat on his back, so he would not embarrass himself in front of the smaller boy.

Todoroki curled his fingers around Midoriya's soft, gentle hand as much as he could without it hurting too much. His heart melted as he heard a shaky sigh of relief escape from Midoriya's lips.

A stab of pain resounded through Todoroki's skull as the bell rang. For what period, he did not know. The warmth slipped from his hand, replaced by an "I'm sorry" that was whispered so only he could hear.

The door opened and closed with a thud along wirh the sounds of scuffling feet. Todoroki sensed that he was alone in the room. The tears he fought back before overflowed, just to be whisked away by the absorbent bandages.

Why, why, why am I like this to Midoriya? What makes me so drawn to him? Kacchan is a jerk, that's for sure, but why did I do that for him? Why all of a sudden? Why do I feel like I... need Midoriya?

Todoroki felt like his heart was going to snap. Then he realized: it wasn't just his heart, but his whole world. He felt like he was swimming, swimming just below the surface of the water, but sinking as if he where an anchor. An anchor to everyone around him... especially Midoriya. He felt like an idiot. He tried to help Midoriya, but ended up making him suffer by forcing him see Todoroki in this state of being. Maybe Todoroki was preventing him from focusing in class... or worse, he was getting bullied by more classmates than just Kacchan.

Why did Todoroki even consider saving Modoriya in the first place? It's not like the bullying was anything new.

So why was Todoroki so attatched to the adorable, green-haired boy?

*:..<—>..:*

Even with Recovery Girl's abilities, Todoroki had to stay at the nurse for the rest of the week. Every day before and after school, Midoriya would sit next to Todoroki and read to him, talk about what was going on, and what schoolwork he was missing. Every day, when Midoriya left, Todoroki felt like he was floating worthlwssly through space with limited oxygen and surrounded by nothingness, only to get sucked into a black hole sooner or later. Restless sleep plagued Todoroki as a result.

One thing Midoriya and Todoroki never talked about was Bakugo. Apparently, Midoriya calls him Kacchan, although Todoroki did not want to give him the satisfacfion of a nickname.

Since Todoroki couldn't have the bandages on his face removed until Thursday, while he was silent Midoriya never mentioned what else happened after Bakugo attacked him. Thus, Todoroki figured he would just drop the subject.  He didn't want Midoriya to feel more uncomfortable than he already was.

Another person that Todoroki did not want to meet anytime soon was his father. No doubt he would get punished for missing a whole week's worth of school. Todoroki forced his father out of his mind, but he kept reappearing.

On Thursday when Todoroki could finally speak, him and Midoriya played a few card games. Todoroki had so many things to ask, to say, to cry out in front of Midoriya, but he kept silent out of embarassment.

Did Midoriya feel this way, too?

One conversation the two shared had really stuck out to Todoroki. It was an hour after school had ended, and the two were stuck in an awkward silence while Todoroki shuffled Midoriya's hero-themed playing cards. Midoriya looked like he wanted to ask something, but didn't have the courage.

Todoroki slid the cards out of the way and gently lifted the other boy's chin, gazing into his eyes. He knew he would question his actions later, but he didn't want to see Midoriya hurting like that.

"Hey. What's up?" He asked.

Almost immediately, Midoriya's face flushed a deep red and he looked back down. Todoroki smirked, resting his head on his fist.

"You know, Midoriya, your freckles look like little diamonds." Todoroki commented for no reason in particular.

Midoriya took a shaky breath before looking up at the multicolored haired boy sitting across from him.

"Todoroki~kun... well, f-first of all, call me Izuku." The shorter boy stammered.

Todoroki couldn't help but crack a grin at how nervous he was. "Ok then, Izuku." he replied.

Midoriya, no, Izuku, did not acknowledge Todoroki's humorous grin, but instead remained solemn.

"Todoroki, what's your home life like? Are you...scared of your dad? What are your siblings like?" After a breath, he continued.

"Are you okay?"

The tsunami of questions left Todoroki speechless although his mind had been racing. One word kept popping up over and over again;
no.

He wanted to scream, burn something, wreak havoc, cause chaos, do something that would calm the inferno Izuku had caused in his mind. He looked down, covering his watering eyes with his multicolored hair and clenching his fists in his lap. He wanted to scream, cry, and laugh all at the same time.

"Midoriya, I think it would be best if we ended today here."

On Friday, Todoroki attended most of his afternoon classes. He found that Midoriya was near him most of the time. Hushed whispers could be heard from his classmates concerning the two, and Bakugo was nowhere to be found.

Todoroki didn't think much of it. As long as Bakugo wasn't around, he was somewhat okay. For now.

But Todoroki couldn't bring himself to get even the tiniest bit mad at his pretty little Deku.

~~~~~
word count: 1090
(not including a/n)

Hello again!! Here's chapter 2!!!!! Aaaa I'm so excited to see where this story goes :3