The Day The Blackout Happened

Two hours later, she woke up and shook his shoulder. "Hey. Wake up." She whispered in his ear. He opened his eyes to see the lights were out. "Did you turn the lights off?" He asked her. "No. I thought you did." She replied. "I am one hundred percent sure that I left them on." He stated. "What time is it?" She asked him. "I'm not sure, let me check." He said and got up to check the only clock in the house.

He walked into his bedroom and over to his nightstand. The alarm clock was off. He bent down to check if it was still plugged in. When he realized that it was plugged in, he got back up and walked into the living room. He tried turning on the lights. "Bad news. I think we're having a blackout." He said. She didn't say anything, she just looked at him. "Do you have any candles?" She finally asked. "No." He said and sat back down on the couch next to her. "Who doesn't have candles? Why don't you have candles?" She asked. "I didn't think I'd need them." He said. "What do we do?" She asked. "What do you want to do?" He fired back at her.

"What's your name?" She asked, leaning her head  on his shoulder.

"Parker. And you?" He asked, leaning his head on hers.

"Julie." She said.

"Nice name." he said, smiling.

"You too." She said, smiling.

 "I'm bored, Parker." She said, tilting her head to look at him.

"What do you wan to do?" He asked her.

"Tell me a story." She replied and pulled the blanket up to her neck.

"What kind?" He asked.

"A funny one, with romance." She said, smiling at him.

"Alright. Here goes nothing. One day there was a prince, he did't like rain too much. In fact, he'd go as far as saying hated it. He liked to ge this little shop to sit and write his novel all day. On this particular day, he was doing just that, writing and sipping his coffee. Then, it started to rain. He grumbled and realized he had to walk home. He was silently thanking himself for bringing his umbrella. He was walking home when he noticed a girl, standing out in the rain. A very pretty girl, might I add. He didn't want the girl to get sick, so he put his umbrella over her head and hoped for the best.

She went back to his castle and dried off. By this time the rain was falling really hard. The power through out the kindom went out. The prince wouldn't admit it, but he started to panic. He didn't want anything bad to happen to this wonderful girl who stumbled into his life.

Soon after, the rain had stopped and the power had come back on. The girl was sleeping in the prince's room. She woke up and wanted to walk back home. The prince insisted that she stay for a few more days, to make sure she didn't get sick of course. She agreed to stay. The prince and the girl grew really close thought out those days. On the last day she wazs supposed to stay, the prince wanted to take her out and do something fun. He decided he wanted to take her out to get some ice cream.

They walked to the ice cream shop and the prince bought them ice cream.

'I haven't been completley honest with you, young prince.' The girl said to him.

'What ever do you mean?' he asked her.

'I am a princess.' She said and the prince's mouth hung open in shock.

'Why didn't you tell me?' He asked.

'When I saw you hold out your umbrella for me, I thought you were really handsome and I could tell by the way you held the umbrella for me that you were a gentlemen. My father told me that I could not return to my kingdom until I found a suitable man for a husband. When i stayed with you for those days, I felt that you would be perfect. I like you but, I don't think you feel the same about me.' The princess replied and got up to walk out of the shop. The prince immediatly followed.

'You are right. I don't like you.' The prince said. The princess put her head in her hands and began to sob. 'I love you.' The prince said and the princess looked up from her hands and stood there, shocked.

'You what?' She asked. 'I love you with everything in me. Those days that we spent together showed me not only your outer beauty, but your inner beauty as well. You are beautiful inside and out. I love you and I wish to spend the rest of my life with you. Princess, will you marry me?' The prince asked and got down on one knee.

The princees, being frusterated with the prince for tricking her, dumped the remainder of her ice cream on his head. 'Of course I will marry you!' She screamed and ran away from him. The prince chased after her and when he got close enough, picked her up and threw her over his shoulder, carrying her back to his castle. When they got there, he set her down and entered the castle woith his bride-to-be.

'Father! I wish to marry the princess!' The prince yelled, entering the throne room. 'Which princess? Why are you holding the peasent's hand?' The king asked, shocked with his son. 'Father, do not speak that way of my bride-to-be. She is not a peasent. She is a princess, she didn't tell us because her father kicked her out of the kingdom until she found a husand.' The prince responded. 'Then, the wedding will comense immediatley!' The king shouted and the prince picked up the princess and spun her around. When he put her down, she pulled him into a kiss and they got married three hours later. They lived happily ever after." Parker concluded.

Julie looked tired and Parker picked her up and carried her to his bedroom. He set her down and said, "Goodnight, princess."

And then the lights turned back on.