The question I had expected finally came, rendering me speechless.

"Umm, actually, they were imposing some unreasonable rules and regulations, and the contract was too lengthy," Anusha interjected, appearing out of nowhere to save me.

Thank goodness for lifesaver!

I glanced at her, silently thanking her with my eyes as she chuckled softly, understanding my predicament.

"Oh! But why aren't you working on any shoots? The media is buzzing with questions," Bhai persisted, his curiosity unabated.

"Bhai, I just needed a break for a while. I'm tired of this hectic life!" I groaned, making him laugh.

Phew!

"Nikiiii!" Maa's voice suddenly rang out from the room, startling me. I feared something had happened to her.

The three of us rushed to her room, and what I saw there almost stopped my heart.

"Ye kya hai, Niki!" Maa's face flushed with anger.

She held my pregnancy medications in her hand. How did she find them? I had hidden them in a drawer. My legs shook with fear; I had no explanation. I couldn't hide this from Maa. She didn't say a word, which scared me even more. She approached me, grabbed my wrist, and checked something.

Her eyes widened in shock as she covered her mouth.

"You're pregnant!" she stated with conviction.

It felt like time stood still for a moment. Silence engulfed the room as her words hung in the air. Bhai's reaction was filled with anger.

"No, Maa!" I tried to deny it, but it was futile.

"Don't you dare lie now!" Her expression turned deadly.

I broke down, tears streaming down my face. The tears I had held back for so long, not being able to tell my own mother, now poured out, consuming me from within.

"I am, Maa! I am pregnant!" I cried aloud, realizing there was no point in arguing with her. She was my mother; if she couldn't know, then who could?

She hugged me tightly, crying along with me. No mother wants to see her daughter in tears like this.

"Why, Niki, why? I don't even know what to say to you. You're old enough to know what's best for you. At this stage in your career? Such carelessness!" Bhai's voice rose with anger.

"What did Virat say?" Maa's question shook me to my core.

Hiding more would only dig me deeper. I decided to tell her everything.

"Virat doesn't know yet!" Anusha spoke softly, causing both of them to gasp.

"I'll explain everything," I said, beginning to recount every detail of what had happened between Virat and me, leading to a rift that a simple misunderstanding had caused. The most important event of my life remained unknown to him.

"What the hell!" Bhai punched the wall, his knuckles bleeding.

"Bhaii! Stop!" I tried to hold his hand, but he jerked it away.

"How could he do this? Accusing you of cheating! I won't let him get away with this! I swear, I'll expose his true face to the media!" Anger flashed across his face, while Maa sat there silently, like a statue.

"No! You won't do anything!" I said firmly, not meeting his gaze.

"And Niki, you! I don't even know what to say! It's your fault too! Why are you keeping this child? Just abort it! You have your whole life ahead of you!" He continued, and I listened silently, keeping my thoughts to myself.

"Let's go to the doctor! We have to abort this!" Maa suddenly spoke.

"What? No, Maa! I can't!" I shook my head vehemently.

"Kya nahi, Maa? Tumhara dimaag kharab ho gaya hai kya? Will you raise this child alone? I can't believe Virat left you like this! How can you keep this child hidden from everyone? What about your dreams, Niki?" She held my face in her hands, forcing me to look into her eyes.

Every moment flashed through my mind—the accidental beginning of our relationship, our love growing stronger, promises made to each other to weather every storm. Time flew by, with minor misunderstandings piling up into a disaster. And now, I had two choices: either give birth and put an end to my career and dreams, or abort and live life the way I had always planned.

I think I've already made my decision!

"Maa, just listen to me for once, calmly," I pleaded, gathering the courage to express my viewpoint.

"I know I've disappointed you by finding myself in this situation. No parent wants to see their daughter suffer like this because of love. You've always supported me in everything I've done, and my position today is largely because of all of you. Maa, I may be wrong, but even if I leave everything behind, I love Virat! That won't change. Aborting this child would be unfair to him, to the love we shared, still share. I know he loves me too; he's just trapped in his assumptions. What he did wasn't right, and I'm hurt, but sometimes people say things they regret later. He'll realize it, sooner or later. This child is ours; I can't be its executioner. I don't know what the future holds after the birth, or if Virat will ever find out, but I'll do what I feel is right for me," I poured out my emotions, kneeling, spilling out everything.

"You've grown up so much," Maa hugged me tightly as I cried.

"Bhai?" I looked up at Arjun, who still seemed angry.

"What are you going to do?" He asked bluntly, coming straight to the point.

"I can't live hiding for nine months. It's only been a few weeks, and the media is already trying to pry into my life. I've decided to go to Australia," I had decided this before they came.

"What? Are you crazy? How will you live alone there?" Maa worriedly asked.

"Anusha has her own apartment there. She's shooting over there, so I'll stay with her. Don't worry, Maa, I can handle it. I have to. I don't have any other choice," I reassured, holding Mom's hands tightly.

"Fine! I'll go with you! You can't handle all of this alone," as usual, I knew this was coming from Mom.

"No, Maa! Everyone here needs you. Don't you have faith in me? I've grown stronger; please trust me," I pleaded earnestly.

"You can't stay there forever," Bhai added, his voice tense with concern.

"I know! At least until the birth! After that, God knows what I'll do. But for now, please don't stop me from doing this," I looked at them hopefully, a glimmer of determination in my eyes.

"I know you won't listen to anyone! Fine, you can go, but you have to keep us informed about everything. If you encounter any trouble, you have to tell us," Bhai finally hugged me, his worry palpable.

"Thanks, Bhai! Just one more thing," I asked, noticing his raised eyebrows.

"I'll handle the media, and no one will know where I've gone. But if Virat asks about me in the future, no matter what, don't tell him where I am," I said with a heavy heart, making him nod in agreement.

Goodbye, India!

~~